Translation of listen in Spanish:
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 (focus hearing) escuchar if you listen carefully, you'll hear it si escuchas con atención, lo oirás to listen
tosth/sb escuchar algo/a algn as she lay in bed she listened to them arguing acostada en su cama, los oía discutir just listen to him (talk o talking) ¡fíjate or mira cómo habla!to listen forsth they listened for her footsteps estaban atentos a ver si la oían venir I listened out for the record on the radio (British English/inglés británico) estuve atento a ver si oía el disco en la radioExample sentences1.2 (pay attention, heed) to listen (
- I listen to the sounds of the radiators ticking as the central heating comes on.
- Every few minutes he would stop and listen to what sounds there were in these quiet highland woods.
- It's not highbrow in an elitist way but you have to pay attention and think while listening to it.
tosth/sb) escuchar (algo/a algn) are you listening (to me)? ¿me estás escuchando?, ¿me oyes? I'm sorry, I wasn't listening perdón, no (te) estaba escuchando I never used to listen in class nunca atendía or prestaba atención en clase I can't promise anything, but I'll listen to what he has to say no puedo prometer nada pero estoy dispuesto a escucharlo he doesn't listen to a word I say! no me hace ningún caso you tell her: she won't listen to me díselo tú, a mí no me hace caso or no me escucha if only I'd listened to what she said! ¡si le hubiera hecho caso!, ¡si la hubiera escuchado! they won't listen to advice no hacen caso de lo que se les dice listen, I've had enough of your moaning mira, estoy harto de tus quejas listen, why don't we go/ask her? oye ¿por qué no vamos/se lo preguntamos?Example sentences
- We should listen to expert advice, but to slavishly follow it on every occasion defies logic.
- Despite being aware of the dangers, a small minority of drivers don't listen to the advice.
- So he had no choice but to listen to the advice of his friend and enrolled a course for motormen.
listen inverb + adverb/verbo + adverbio escuchar someone may be listening in alguien puede estar escuchando to listen in
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Did you know that Antena 3 was Spain's first private television channel? It began broadcasting in 1989. Its proprietors include the conservative newspapers La Vanguardia and ABC.