Translation of listen in Spanish:
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 (focus hearing) escuchar if you listen carefully, you'll hear it si escuchas con atención, lo oirás to listen
tosth/sb escuchar algo/a algn as she lay in bed she listened to them arguing acostada en su cama, los oía discutir just listen to him (talk o talking) ¡fíjate or mira cómo habla!to listen forsth they listened for her footsteps estaban atentos a ver si la oían venir I listened out for the record on the radio (British English/inglés británico) estuve atento a ver si oía el disco en la radioExample sentences1.2 (pay attention, heed) to listen (
- I listen to the sounds of the radiators ticking as the central heating comes on.
- Every few minutes he would stop and listen to what sounds there were in these quiet highland woods.
- It's not highbrow in an elitist way but you have to pay attention and think while listening to it.
tosth/sb) escuchar (algo/a algn) are you listening (to me)? ¿me estás escuchando?, ¿me oyes? I'm sorry, I wasn't listening perdón, no (te) estaba escuchando I never used to listen in class nunca atendía or prestaba atención en clase I can't promise anything, but I'll listen to what he has to say no puedo prometer nada pero estoy dispuesto a escucharlo he doesn't listen to a word I say! no me hace ningún caso you tell her: she won't listen to me díselo tú, a mí no me hace caso or no me escucha if only I'd listened to what she said! ¡si le hubiera hecho caso!, ¡si la hubiera escuchado! they won't listen to advice no hacen caso de lo que se les dice listen, I've had enough of your moaning mira, estoy harto de tus quejas listen, why don't we go/ask her? oye ¿por qué no vamos/se lo preguntamos?Example sentences
- We should listen to expert advice, but to slavishly follow it on every occasion defies logic.
- Despite being aware of the dangers, a small minority of drivers don't listen to the advice.
- So he had no choice but to listen to the advice of his friend and enrolled a course for motormen.
listen inverb + adverb/verbo + adverbio escuchar someone may be listening in alguien puede estar escuchando to listen in
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Havana, Cuba has three daily newspapers. The best known is Granma(www.granma.cubaweb.cu), official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. Trabajadores is published by the Cuban trade union movement, and the more lively Juventud Rebelde is aimed at a younger readership.