Translation of listen in Spanish:
- 1.1 (focus hearing) if you listen carefully, you'll hear itto listensi escuchas con atención, lo oirás
tosomething/somebodyas she lay in bed she listened to them arguingescuchar algo/a alguienjust listen to him (talk o talking)acostada en su cama, los oía discutirto listen¡fíjate or mira cómo habla! forsomethingthey listened for her footstepsI listened out for the record on the radio (British English)estaban atentos a ver si la oían venirestuve atento a ver si oía el disco en la radioExample sentences1.2 (pay attention, heed) See examples:to listen (
- I listen to the sounds of the radiators ticking as the central heating comes on.
- Every few minutes he would stop and listen to what sounds there were in these quiet highland woods.
- It's not highbrow in an elitist way but you have to pay attention and think while listening to it.
tosomething/somebody) are you listening (to me)?I'm sorry, I wasn't listening I never used to listen in class¿me estás escuchando?¿me oyes?I can't promise anything, but I'll listen to what he has to saynunca atendía or prestaba atención en clasehe doesn't listen to a word I say!no puedo prometer nada pero estoy dispuesto a escucharloyou tell her: she won't listen to meno me hace ningún casoif only I'd listened to what she said!díselo tú, a mí no me hace caso or no me escuchathey won't listen to advice¡si le hubiera hecho caso!¡si la hubiera escuchado!listen, I've had enough of your moaning listen, why don't we go/ask her?no hacen caso de lo que se les diceoye ¿por qué no vamos/se lo preguntamos?Example sentences
- We should listen to expert advice, but to slavishly follow it on every occasion defies logic.
- Despite being aware of the dangers, a small minority of drivers don't listen to the advice.
- So he had no choice but to listen to the advice of his friend and enrolled a course for motormen.
- [colloquial]to give something a listenafter a couple of listens …escuchar algodespués de escucharlo un par de veces …Example sentences
- Nevertheless, there are undoubtedly some hidden gems which make this set worth the listen.
- I wish they'd just put up a transcript, but for those of you with broadband it's well worth a listen.
- On this performance her forthcoming debut album could well be worth a listen.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than