Translation of listen in Spanish:
- 1 (focus hearing) if you listen carefully, you'll hear itsi escuchas con atención, lo oirásto listen
tosomething/somebodyescuchar algo/a alguienas she lay in bed she listened to them arguingacostada en su cama, los oía discutirjust listen to him (talk or talking)¡fíjate or mira cómo habla!to listen forsomethingthey listened for her footstepsestaban atentos a ver si la oían venirI listened out for the record on the radio (British)estuve atento a ver si oía el disco en la radioExample sentences
- I listen to the sounds of the radiators ticking as the central heating comes on.
- Every few minutes he would stop and listen to what sounds there were in these quiet highland woods.
- It's not highbrow in an elitist way but you have to pay attention and think while listening to it.
- 2 (pay attention, heed)to listen (
tosomething/somebody) are you listening (to me)?¿me estás escuchando?I'm sorry, I wasn't listening I never used to listen in class
¿me oyes?nunca atendía or prestaba atención en claseI can't promise anything, but I'll listen to what he has to sayno puedo prometer nada pero estoy dispuesto a escucharlohe doesn't listen to a word I say!no me hace ningún casoyou tell her: she won't listen to medíselo tú, a mí no me hace caso or no me escuchaif only I'd listened to what she said!¡si le hubiera hecho caso!they won't listen to advice
¡si la hubiera escuchado!no hacen caso de lo que se les dicelisten, I've had enough of your moaning listen, why don't we go/ask her?oye ¿por qué no vamos/se lo preguntamos?Example sentences
- We should listen to expert advice, but to slavishly follow it on every occasion defies logic.
- Despite being aware of the dangers, a small minority of drivers don't listen to the advice.
- So he had no choice but to listen to the advice of his friend and enrolled a course for motormen.
- [colloquial]to give something a listenescuchar algoafter a couple of listens …después de escucharlo un par de veces …Example sentences
- Nevertheless, there are undoubtedly some hidden gems which make this set worth the listen.
- I wish they'd just put up a transcript, but for those of you with broadband it's well worth a listen.
- On this performance her forthcoming debut album could well be worth a listen.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.