Translation of little in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (small) I don't like little dogsno me gustan los perros pequeños or (especially Latin America) chicosa lovely little dogun perrito preciosowhat's in the little box?¿qué hay en la caja pequeña or (especially Latin America) chica?what's in that little box?¿qué hay en esa cajita?would you like some more? — just a little piece¿quieres más? — bueno, un pedacito or un trocitoa little old ladyuna viejecitasit down (for) a little whilesiéntate un ratitoshe is a little bit betterestá un poquito mejor or algo mejorExample sentences1.2 (young) when I was little
cuando era pequeña or pequeñita or (especially Latin America) chica or chiquitawhat's your little sister/brother called?¿cómo se llama tu hermanita/hermanito?I didn't work while the children were littleyo no trabajaba cuando los niños eran pequeños or (especially Latin America) chicosExample sentences1.3 (insignificant) then there's the little matter of the missing million dollars [ironic]
- There's always a little old man sat behind the counter, and no one ever seems to be in there.
- While a little black spot on the sun may seem like a simple act, the transit of Venus is not.
- All he needed to do now was to point his telescope at the sun all day and look for a little black spot.
está también el pequeño detalle del millón de dólares que falta [irónico]these multinationals couldn't care less about the little manpara estas multinacionales el individuo no cuentaExample sentences1.4 (expressing speaker's attitude) [colloquial] (before noun) I know your little game!
- He had played a big role in my life since I was little so he would always be a part of my life.
- It's funny that my favorite thing when I was little is no longer my favorite thing at all.
- Finding someone close to the perfect person is never as easy as you are led to believe when you're little.
¡ya te conozco el jueguito! [colloquial]you poor little thing!¡pobrecito!I know a little man who can repair it for yousé de alguien que te lo puede arreglarI can't stand the little manal tipo ese no lo aguanto [colloquial]can I tempt you to a little something?¿te puedo ofrecer alguna cosita?
- But it will be nice to be able to sit back and enjoy the show without having to worry about every little detail.
- It looked like a normal house, but there were just so many little incidental details.
- Was it the big plot points that you wanted to reflect in your life or the mundane little details that you were going for?
- 2comparative less superlative least2.1 (not much) there is very little bread/milk leftqueda muy poco pan/muy poca lechefrom what little information we havepor lo poco que sabemosa television uses less electricity than a toasterun televisor gasta menos electricidad que una tostadorain less time than it takes to boil an eggen menos que canta un gallohe had little talent and even less charmtenía poco talento y aún menos encantoI have no less reason than you to be angrytengo tantos motivos como tú para estar enfadadoless and less money is being spent on housingcada vez se gasta menos dinero en viviendawe've had a bit/lot less snow than youaquí ha habido un poco menos de nieve/mucha menos nieve que allíhe has (the) least talent of alles el que menos talento tiene2.2a little (some) there's a little wine leftqueda un poco de vinoI know a little Spanishsé un poco de españolwith not a little sadness in her voice [formal]con no poca tristeza en la voz
pronoun comparative less superlative least
- 1.1 (not much)poco, (-ca)there was little to dohabía poco que hacerthere was little left to eatquedaba poca comidalittle of the original fresco remainsqueda poco del fresco originalthere is little to choose between themhay poca or no hay mucha diferencia entre elloswe see very little of him nowadayslo vemos muy poco últimamentethe little that she earnslo poco que ganafrom as little as $2,000a partir de tan solo 2.000 dólareslittle by littlepoco a pocohe's saying less than he knowsse está callando algoI get paid less than you
no está diciendo todo lo que sabeme pagan menos que a tia yard is less than a meteruna yarda es menos que un metroin less than a yearen menos de un añowe could see less and lessveíamos cada vez menosthe less you do today, the more you'll have to do tomorrowcuanto menos hagas hoy, más tendrás que hacer mañanaJean earns (the) least of allJean es la que menos gana de todosthank you very much — it's the least I could domuchas gracias — es lo menos que podía hacerthe (very) least you can do is apologizelo menos que puedes hacer es pedir perdónhe was rather abrupt, to say the leastestuvo un poco brusco, por no decir otra cosathat's the least of iteso es lo de menosExample sentences1.2a little (some) today she managed to eat a little
hoy ha podido comer algo or un pocoa little goes a long wayun poco rinde or cunde muchoExample sentences
- However, the use of a variety of instruments does little to emphasize the indivisibility of rights.
- There is little doubt that these cases in particular have led to the numerous threats to her life.
- But he had little doubt about that side of the midfielder's game when he signed him in the summer.
- Sprinkle with a little of the leftover spring onions and serve immediately with extra cheese.
- Most of the stuff out there just doesn't pack the same punch that the old tunes do and we want to bring back a little of the old touch.
- Tourists and locals alike last night flocked to the pub to see if they could capture a little of the magic.
adverb comparative less superlative least
- 1.1 (not much) he goes out very littlesale muy pocohis music is little known in this countrysu música es poco conocida en este paísit is a little known fact that …es un hecho poco conocido que …you should worry less about the futurete tienes que preocupar menos por el futuroshe's never been less than fair with mesiempre ha sido justa conmigothe campaign has been somewhat less than a successla campaña no ha tenido mucho éxito que digamosI like her (the) leastes la que menos me gustajust when we were least expecting itcuando menos lo esperábamosExample sentences1.2 (hardly, not) little did he know that she had already left
lo que menos se imaginaba era que ella ya se había idohe's little better than a thiefes poco menos que un ladrónmy tiredness was less physical than mentalel cansancio que sentía era más bien mental que físicono one likes him, least of all his brothernadie lo quiere, y su hermano, menos que nadieExample sentences1.3a little (somewhat) this will hurt a little
- Whatever happened in the past, the biblical message is little known in those lands today.
- You need to get into the habit of drinking water little and often - before, during and after training.
- Here, too, he enjoyed little financial success but the publication went on to greater things.
te va a doler un pocodo you speak French? — a little¿hablas francés? — algo or un pocoI'm feeling a little tiredestoy algo or un poco cansadoit needs a little more saltnecesita un poco más de sala little less noise, pleasehagan menos ruido, por favorwon't you stay a little?¿no te quieres quedar un ratito?Example sentences
- Yet this role is little noticed in the US and often incomprehensible to America's allies.
- Oh wait that's little different to being ruled by a mobster, and brutally murdered and repressed.
- They pointed out how little human nature has changed over the last thousand years.
- One Moroccan girl said that she was a little afraid, since the murderer was a Moroccan.
- I must admit, I was still a little afraid of this world that was still new and foreign to me.
- I am a little afraid to ask what it is, but I do know I will not be eating much of this.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.