Translation of lookout in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (watch) (no plural) to be on the lookout for something/somebodyandar a la caza de algo/alguienthey were advised to be on the lookoutse les advirtió que estuvieran alerta(s) or ojo avizor(before noun) lookout postExample sentences1.2 (person) (Military) the gang needs him to act as lookout
la banda lo necesita para que haga de guardiala banda lo necesita para que haga de campana (River Plate area) [colloquial]la banda lo necesita para que les eche aguas (Mexico) [colloquial]la banda lo necesita para que haga de loro (Chile) [colloquial]1.3 (place)Example sentences
- The witness denied under cross-examination that she had exaggerated what she heard at the toilet or that she and the other boy had acted as lookouts.
- One minute they're playing video games, the next they're acting as lookouts for patrols of militia men.
- Other members of the gang acted as lookouts while one of the men walked into the office and out of the store with the cash.
- Keiko watched patiently as the soldier one hundred metres away from their spot continued his patrol on the walls and entered the lookout tower adjoining the city walls.
- After metal detectors and searches, I was let in through two gigantic automated gates, watched from a lookout tower.
- From the lookout area, the view embraces the valley
- 2 2.1 (prospect) (British English)(no plural)
perspectivas (feminine plural)Example sentences2.2 (concern) [colloquial] that's your lookout
ese es tu problema
- A few hundred meters from the entrance, there is a fine lookout over the plain.
- You'll see a beautiful hemlock stand, a fine lookout and acidic Bat Lake.
ese es asunto tuyoExample sentences
- When a trust feels under pressure to set its own standards of political correctness from fear of an employment tribunal (self censorship) it is a bad lookout for medicine.
- If Erik's secrets cease to be Erik's secrets, it will be a bad lookout for a goodly number of the human race!
- It is a bad lookout, boys - a very bad lookout. There, don't talk about it any more. I do not want to make your mother unhappy.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.