Translation of loss in Spanish:
- 1 (of possessions, jobs, faculties) heat/energy losspérdida de calor/energíathe ship sank with the loss of 21 livesel naufragio se cobró 21 vidasthe coup was carried out without loss of lifeel golpe se llevó a cabo sin que hubiera que lamentar víctimas or sin derramamiento de sangreif she does leave, she'll be no great lossno se pierde nada con que se vayait's their loss not mineson ellos los que salen perdiendo or los que se lo pierdenthey were filled with a keen sense of losssintieron un gran vacíoto be at a lossthe news left me completely at a lossno supe cómo reaccionar ante la noticiaI'm at a loss what to do nextno sé qué hacer ahoraI was at a loss for words he's never at a loss for wordstiene respuesta para todo
- 2 2.1 (Business, Finance) the company made a huge lossla compañía sufrió grandes pérdidasI made a loss of $100 on the dealperdí 100 dólares en el negocioa tax lossuna pérdida desgravableto sell something at a lossvender algo con pérdidawe cannot continue trading at a lossno podemos seguir operando con déficitto be a dead loss [colloquial]this typewriter is a dead lossesta máquina de escribir no sirve para nada or [colloquial] es una porqueríahe's a dead loss as an organizercomo organizador es un desastre or una calamidadto cut one's losses(Finance)2.2 (in insurance)
reducir las pérdidasExample sentences
- The reason for the possible job losses is possible barrack closures at the Garrison.
- They have admitted the financial crisis could mean more job losses and ward closures.
- His own school is facing job losses as it is in the process of moving from two forms of entry to one.
- 3 3.1 (bereavement) [euphemistic] the loss of a dear onela pérdida de un ser querido3.2also: losses plural(deaths) (Military)bajas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- We are all subject to the pain of loss, grief, sadness and even plain disappointment.
- The large crowds at the funeral ceremonies reflected the sense of loss and grief felt throughout the neighbourhood.
- You should be careful of people's deeply felt grief and sense of loss before you dismiss them as selfish cynics.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.