- 1.1 (before noun, no comparative)(door/bedroom)
principal(office)the main thing
centrallo principalI have my main meal (of the day) in the evening
lo más importantehago la comida principal or fuerte por la nochemain deckExample sentences1.2in the main
- With the forthcoming London mayoral elections in June, the three main candidates have thrown their hats into the ring.
- The only way out is the one and only main gate.
- I wandered about, and sat for a while in the main choir listening to the organ.
- 1 1.1 countable(principal pipe) cañería (feminine) or tubería (feminine) principal or de distribución(principal cable) cable (masculine) principalExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (supply)the main o (British English) the mains
- It was also delivering water to the camp, where many mains and sewage pipes are broken.
- Numerous leaks have developed from broken water pipes and mains.
- There were reports of broken water and gas mains around northern Kyushu, and bullet trains and other railways and subways suspended operations, but later resumed running.
la red de suministroto turn the water/gas off at the main o (British English) the mainscerrar la llave (principal) del agua/del gasyou can run it off the mains (British English) (Electricity)se puede conectar a la red
- Faulks said the alarm was not properly connected to electrical mains and would have had to rely on a back-up battery even if switched on.