Translation of maintain in Spanish:
- 1 (continue, preserve)(speed/lead/attitude)(silence)if we maintain this rate, we shall finish by five o'clocksi mantenemos este ritmo, a las cinco ya habremos terminadoExample sentences
- It will try to ensure that the right conditions are maintained to stimulate continued growth in the sector.
- You are able to maintain stability in professional situations and retain a position of authority!
- Sino-Japanese cooperation will undoubtedly continue to aid in maintaining peace and stability in the Korean peninsula.
- 2 (keep in good condition)(house/garden/car/machine)ocuparse del mantenimiento de(aircraft/database)Example sentences
- He notes that the building is maintained in good condition.
- Neither side has the time or interest to maintain roads and buildings.
- In the meantime it would repair and maintain the crumbling buildings.
- 3 (provide for)(family/dependents)(troops/army)(project)Example sentences
- They were maintained under standard conditions and were fed standard food and water ad libitum.
- The horses were maintained on this diet throughout the study.
- Animals were maintained on a standard laboratory diet.
- However, like any military force today, maintaining a modern, well-equipped, and ready armed force is a challenge.
- Please let us know of your efforts to help train and maintain the Military Intelligence Corps.
- Each major political regime maintained its own separate military apparatus.
- 4 (claim) she maintains (that) George is innocentmantiene or sostiene que George es inocenteExample sentences
- I have always maintained that all protests should be acted upon so a precedent and case study is set for the future.
- Third, the idea/expression distinction should be strongly and vigorously maintained.
- Mrs Gaskin maintains that her husband always had access to their two children who had visited him regularly in jail.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.