- 1 (way, fashion) forma (f), modo (m), manera (f) he was behaving in a ridiculous manner se estaba comportando de forma or manera ridícula or de modo ridículo it's just a manner of speaking es un decir did you solve the problem? — in a manner of speaking ¿resolviste el problema? — en cierto modo or en cierta medida or hasta cierto punto (as) to the manner born como si hubiera nacido para elloMore example sentences
- They brighten the streets and fasten the scenery together in the unobtrusive manner of true cultural icons.
- Fortunately, individual lions can be dependably identified in an unobtrusive manner.
- In a gruesome act of fate, the star famed for that role met her untimely death in a similar manner, but by accident, on December 8, 1971.
- 2 2.1 (bearing, demeanor) actitud (feminine) she has an abrupt manner es brusca a good telephone manner is essential es imprescindible tener buen trato por teléfono 2.2 (style) [Art/Arte] estilo (masculine) the house was decorated in the French manner la casa estaba decorada al or en estilo francés after the manner of Jenks al estilo de JenksMore example sentences
- Bollinger was ‘working’ in these pictures, but not in the manner of the other artists Fiore depicted.
- It is largely devoted to an account of the battle of Actium, but tells it all in the manner of Callimachus, a style wholly unsuited to the subject-matter.
- These new works are a bold push forward, and they show the artist entering into the world of storytelling in the manner of a heartsick troubadour.
- 4(manners plural)4.1 (personal conduct) modales (mpl), educación (f) didn't they teach you (any) manners at school? ¿no te enseñaron modales en el colegio? have you forgotten your manners? ¿dónde están tus modales? it's (good) manners to say 'please' es de buena educación decir 'por favor' it's bad manners to point es (de) mala educación señalar con el dedo manners! ¡qué modales son esos! 4.2 (lifestyle) [formal] costumbres (feminine plural) a comedy of manners [Literature/Literatura] una comedia costumbristaMore example sentences
More example sentences
- I am going to make extra effort to use good manners and proper social behavior.
- I promise to practice good manners and good behaviour and not to lead a life of idleness.
- To be aggressive in behaviour, arrogant in manners and harsh in language is a manifestation of savagery.
- Undoubtedly his manner towards Shackleton must have appeared quite subservient.
- His characteristic manner soon brought customers from near and far and his perfectness in hair styling was always much admired.
- She probably had a pretty face to start with, but her manner and grace was quite a study in femininity.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Spain's War of Independence against Napoleon Bonaparte's French occupation was ignited by the popular revolt in Madrid on 2 May 1808 against the French army. With support from the Duke of Wellington, Spanish resistance continued for over five years in a guerra de guerrillas which gave the world the concept and the term guerrilla warfare. The autocratic Fernando VII was restored to the throne in 1814, and his first act was to abolish the progressive Constitution of Cadiz adopted in 1812.