- 1 (on page)Example sentences
- ‘Fiscal rot’ was his marginal note on a chart showing the growth of the public debt in the 1990s.
- A marginal inscription notes that Captain Cook first sighted the south-eastern corner, where settlement began.
- For one thing, all my marginal notes are missing.
- 2 (minor)(difference/improvement)
mínimo(role/significance)to be marginal
tosomethingthis is marginal to the debateesto está relacionado con el debate solo de manera tangencialExample sentences
- Types of work which are now marginal were still important.
- This could have been the basis of an interesting discussion of how marginal or central such songs were to Finland.
- In the same way women are central - not marginal - to the process of reproduction.
- 3 3.1 (not very productive)(land/well)
poco rentableExample sentences3.2 (Economics, Finance)
(cost)marginal tax rate
- Farmers originally received grants to plant forests on marginal farmland.
- He notes that the northern grazing industry has usually been economically marginal, rarely very profitable.
- Underneath that wide smile, he scares marginal McDonald's store operators with his frankness.
marginaltasa (feminine) impositiva marginalExample sentences3.3 (Politics) (British English) marginal constituency
(distrito electoral cuyo representante obtuvo el escaño por escasa mayoría)Example sentences
- In each country, the long-run perfectly competitive equilibrium price equals marginal production cost plus the per unit tax.
- Thus short-run marginal costing rather than LRMC is the appropriate pricing strategy.
- Hyundai Motor India has announced a marginal price increase for all its cars across segments to reflect the incidence of Education Cess.
- Nationally that figures has soared by 500 per cent in marginal seats in the election.
- Catching these ‘missing voters’ could make a significant difference to the results of elections in marginal seats.
- Leeds North West, which encompasses Otley, has been targeted by the Liberal Democrats and Tories as a key marginal seat in their election campaigns.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.