Translation of marshal in Spanish:
- 1( also Marshal)(as title) [Military/Militar] mariscal (masculine)
- 2 (as title) (American English/inglés norteamericano) 2.1 (police chief) jefe, (masculine, feminine) de policía; (fire chief) jefe, (masculine, feminine) de bomberos 2.2 [Law/Derecho][ supervisor de los tribunales de un distrito judicial ]Example sentences
- Federal marshals estimated that the birdmen, in violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, killed thousands of birds over a five-year span.
- Federal marshals are guarding overseas flights, and state troopers are patrolling trains.
- However, when the justices travel around the country, they are sometimes protected by federal marshals rather than Supreme Court cops.
- They were refused entry to the tavern and immediately went to the Canton Station in search of the Police Marshal.
- He knew that social status depended on landed wealth, so he fixed high salaries for marshals, judges, and bishops, and membership of legislative or representative bodies was limited to the rich.
- The judge, marshal supervisor, prosecutor and other participants develop a plan designed to anticipate the security needs during trial.
- As building inspectors, fire marshals and riot police rally against them, the squatters continue to fight for decent shelter and survival.
- The authority for fire regulations for each state is governed either by the fire marshal or the state department of health.
- A local fire department or state fire marshal's office can provide guidance on the minimum legal requirements.
- 3 (at public gathering) miembro (masculine) del servicio de vigilanciaExample sentences
- More than 400 people will be supporting the event, many being reunited after working as marshals during the Commonwealth Games.
- Surveys show that drivers and the public all want marshals and someone has to pay.
- They appoint their own marshals, who control the annual get-together.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo ( (British English/inglés británico) -ll-)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the