- 1 (bulk, body) masa (feminine) her hair was a mass of curls tenía la cabeza cubierta de rizos the cherry tree was a mass of pink el cerezo era una nube de flores rosa a mass of contradictions un cúmulo de contradicciones in the mass en masa, en conjuntoExample sentences
- At the opposite end of what passed for the main street of the village, a group of the attackers had gathered, a mass of dark shapes and forms.
- The townspeople moved as quickly as they could to get back to their homes, and the main street was just a mass of dark forms running and fleeing.
- The sky was a dome of darkness over their heads, the stars blotted out by a mass of thick, dark clouds.
- Sue now provides this, making use of a mass of hitherto unused material.
- The editor has a mass of material from which the text is now extracted.
- It is not only encyclopaedias, dictionaries, and libraries that create the illusion of a semblance of order from a mass of chaotic and random materials.
- 3 uncountable/no numerable [Physics/Física] masa (feminine)Example sentences
- Every object with mass exerts a gravitational force.
- An object with mass creates a gravitational field around itself.
- The problem is that gravitons carry mass and energy, which are the source of the gravitational field in the first place.
- 4 countable/numerable also(Mass)[Music/Música] [Religion/Religión] misa (feminine) to go to mass ir* a misa to say/hear mass decir*/oír* misa a sung/Latin/nuptial mass una misa cantada/en latín/de esponsalesExample sentences
- Ideal Christmas gifts will be on sale next weekend at all Masses in the Church of the Immaculate Conception.
- The Masses and other ceremonies in the Church of the Most Holy Rosary this Christmas had full congregations.
- Preparations for First Holy Communion began at all Masses in the parish church last Sunday week.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- (before noun/delante del nombre) [culture/market/communications] de masas; [hysteria/hypnosis/suicide] colectivo; [demonstration/protest/exodus] masivo, en masa; [unemployment] generalizado, masivo a newspaper with a mass circulation un periódico de circulación masiva a mass escape una huida en masa a mass meeting una reunión de todo el personal ( or el estudiantado etc)