Translation of master in Spanish:
- 1 you can't serve two mastersno se puede servir a Dios y al diabloI will be master in my own house!¡en esta casa mando yo!to be master of the situation/of one's destinyser dueño de la situación/de su ( or mi etc) destinoto be one's own masterno tener que darle cuentas a nadieExample sentences
- The third type of government in the household is that of the lord over his slaves and the master over his servants…
- By 1640 the social structure of the island consisted of masters, servants, and slaves.
- The old law of master and servant saw the master as the head of the family.
- He asked me what my business was and I told him I had a letter of introduction for the master of the household.
- He was the independent master of a peasant household, whose position was protected by the king's law.
- He is a father, a master of household, a countryman, and hence a consummate member of a community.
- In these stories, the horse accompanies his master through all kinds of hardships and danger.
- The forest was still and quiet; the horses watched their masters placidly.
- Even the animals knew their masters were excited, and were thus excited themselves.
- 2 (expert)master
ofsomething to be a past master of somethingser un maestro consumado en algoExample sentences
- Strength, compassion, honor and skill elevate the practitioner to the master.
- The FBI agent is tough, smart, and a master of disguise.
- He is a master of disguise and concealment.
- 3 3.1 (Univ) (degree)master's (degree)(título (masculine) de) master (masculine) or máster (masculine)Master of Arts/Science
maestría (feminine)(poseedor de una maestría en Humanidades/Ciencias)Example sentences3.2 (British English) (teacher)
(in secondary school) profesor (masculine)(in primary school) maestro (masculine)Example sentences3.3 (of college)
- He is a graduate of UH with master's degrees in Pacific Studies and History.
- Some had master's and doctorate degrees, and some were Party members.
- The number of researchers has doubled, and a larger proportion now have master's degrees and doctorates.
director, (-tora) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- The master of the public school said he was unable to make any further comment.
- When he protested his innocence, his schoolmates sided with the master.
- Look at him, walking around like he's the day master at a boarding school.
- The rogue gave the master of the college as referee, but in view of his story, the bank opened the account and collected the cheque without making enquiries.
- First there was a general interview at which the candidates were grilled by the master, dean, senior tutor, and fellows of the subject.
- He held the regius chair of Greek at Oxford for nearly 40 years and was master of Balliol College for more than 20 years.
- 4 (Nautical)Example sentences
- During the trip, Jones unexpectedly became the ship's master when its captain and first mate died suddenly.
- The master of the ship was in command at the time of the incident.
- A mariner emerges from the hatchway and climbs the rigging, while below the boatswain and ship's master are thrown about on deck.
- 5also: Master5.1 (History) (as form of address used by servants)el señor(to younger man) señoritoyou called, master?¿llamaba el señor?Example sentences5.2 (on letters to young boys)
- Young Master John, please to understand it is not wise to disrespect and interrupt your elders if you wish to benefit from their knowledge and wisdom.
- Bronte depicts young Master John Reed as virtually a paradigm of the Victorian bad boy, wallowing in gluttony, sadism, and a host of other deadly sins.
- But I'd look between the benches at young master Charles on the playing field and think, that's where I should be.
- 6 6.1 (Computing) (controlling device)terminal (masculine) maestroExample sentences
Example sentences6.2 (Audio, Computing, Printing) (for copies)
- The main advantage of the cluster is that the computation power depends on the number of computers one adds to the master machine.
- One device acts as a master and the devices connected to it act as slaves.
- Whenever a machine becomes master, it takes over the virtual server address and continues with its original.
- The quality is also poor because the transfer was taken from a tape master rather than the original 35 mm print.
- The transfers are as good as they can be, given the state of the video master tapes these were culled from.
- The soundtrack master seems to have been in good shape, as there is little trace of any kind of background distortions or hiss.
- 1.1 (control)(fear/impulse)
vencerExample sentences1.2 (learn)
- Personality explores what it is that makes us who we are and uncovers the universal battle to master our emotions and control our behaviour.
- I'm not sure if you'll find an easy answer: mastering control of your dreams enough to wake up at will may be a skill that takes a while to learn.
- Humans then have a God given right to control and master nature.
llegar a dominarExample sentences
- Treatment strategies for asthma include daily self-management that relies on acquiring and mastering specific knowledge and skills.
- It was a time when creating a role meant believing in the art rather than simply mastering the technique.
- His technique of completely mastering a topic before drawing it allowed for this high level of demonstrative skill.
adjective before noun, no comparative
- 1.1 (expert) master baker/buildermaestro (masculine) panadero/de obrasExample sentences1.2 (main, principal)
- I can't think of a finer person to have taught me the sport-he was a master technician who had a real knack for dealing with kids.
- You don't need to be a master carpenter, but some basic skills and basic tools are necessary.
- Our country has the pride of having master craftsmen who carve out exquisite products with their deft hands.
maestroExample sentences1.3 (dominant) the master race
la raza superior1.4 (original) master copy master disk (Computing) master file (Computing)archivo (masculine) or fichero (masculine) maestromaster spy
- There is also room for eight guests in the four ensuite cabins, including a master stateroom and VIP bedroom.
- The master brake cylinder is now made of aluminum - better overall quality.
- Straight ahead is the master bath, which separates the master bedroom on the left and the guest room/study on the right.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.