Translation of master in Spanish:
- 1 (of household) señor (masculine), amo (masculine); (of animal) amo (masculine), dueño (masculine); (of servant) amo (masculine), patrón (masculine) you can't serve two masters no se puede servir a Dios y al diablo I will be master in my own house! ¡en esta casa mando yo! to be master of the situation/of one's destiny ser* dueño de la situación/de su ( or mi etc) destino to be one's own master no tener* que darle cuentas a nadieExample sentences
- He asked me what my business was and I told him I had a letter of introduction for the master of the household.
- He was the independent master of a peasant household, whose position was protected by the king's law.
- He is a father, a master of household, a countryman, and hence a consummate member of a community.
- In these stories, the horse accompanies his master through all kinds of hardships and danger.
- The forest was still and quiet; the horses watched their masters placidly.
- Even the animals knew their masters were excited, and were thus excited themselves.
- 2 (expert) master
ofsth maestro, (masculine, feminine) dealgo, experto, (masculine, feminine) enalgo to be a past master of sth ser* un maestro consumado en algoExample sentences
- Strength, compassion, honor and skill elevate the practitioner to the master.
- The FBI agent is tough, smart, and a master of disguise.
- He is a master of disguise and concealment.
- 3 3.1 [Univ] (degree) master's (degree) (título (masculine) de) master (masculine) or máster (masculine), maestría (feminine) Master of Arts/Science[ poseedor de una maestría en Humanidades/Ciencias ] 3.2 (British English/inglés británico) (teacher) (in secondary school) profesor (masculine); (in primary school) maestro (masculine)Example sentences3.3 (of college) director, (masculine, feminine)
- The rogue gave the master of the college as referee, but in view of his story, the bank opened the account and collected the cheque without making enquiries.
- First there was a general interview at which the candidates were grilled by the master, dean, senior tutor, and fellows of the subject.
- He held the regius chair of Greek at Oxford for nearly 40 years and was master of Balliol College for more than 20 years.
- 4 [Nautical/Náutica] capitán (masculine)Example sentences
- During the trip, Jones unexpectedly became the ship's master when its captain and first mate died suddenly.
- The master of the ship was in command at the time of the incident.
- A mariner emerges from the hatchway and climbs the rigging, while below the boatswain and ship's master are thrown about on deck.
- 5(Master)5.1 [History/Historia] (as form of address used by servants) el señor; (to younger man) señorito you called, master? ¿llamaba el señor? 5.2 (on letters to young boys) Sr.Example sentences
- Young Master John, please to understand it is not wise to disrespect and interrupt your elders if you wish to benefit from their knowledge and wisdom.
- Bronte depicts young Master John Reed as virtually a paradigm of the Victorian bad boy, wallowing in gluttony, sadism, and a host of other deadly sins.
- But I'd look between the benches at young master Charles on the playing field and think, that's where I should be.
- The third type of government in the household is that of the lord over his slaves and the master over his servants…
- By 1640 the social structure of the island consisted of masters, servants, and slaves.
- The old law of master and servant saw the master as the head of the family.
- 6 6.1 [Computing/Informática] (controlling device) terminal (masculine) maestro 6.2 [Audio] [Computing/Informática] [Printing/Imprenta] (for copies) original (masculine)Example sentences
- The main advantage of the cluster is that the computation power depends on the number of computers one adds to the master machine.
- One device acts as a master and the devices connected to it act as slaves.
- Whenever a machine becomes master, it takes over the virtual server address and continues with its original.
- The quality is also poor because the transfer was taken from a tape master rather than the original 35 mm print.
- The transfers are as good as they can be, given the state of the video master tapes these were culled from.
- The soundtrack master seems to have been in good shape, as there is little trace of any kind of background distortions or hiss.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
adjective/adjetivo(before noun, no comparative/delante del nombre, sin comparativo)
- 1.1 (expert) master baker/builder maestro (masculine) panadero/de obras 1.2 (main, principal) [switch/key] maestro 1.3 (dominant) superior the master race la raza superior 1.4 (original) [tape] original, matriz master copy original (masculine) master disk [Computing/Informática] disco (masculine) maestro master file [Computing/Informática] archivo (masculine) or fichero (masculine) maestro master spy jefe, (masculine, feminine) de espías
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The 'Audiencia Nacional' is the Spanish high court for crimes affecting the national interest, e.g. drug trafficking, large-scale fraud and certain crimes committed abroad.