- 1.1 (of rushes, straw)also: door matalso: bath matalfombrilla (feminine) or alfombrita (feminine) or (Colombia) (Mexico) tapete (masculine) del bañoalso: tablemat(individual)rubber matExample sentences1.2 (of hair)
- He is clearing the cards, the chips, the checkered mat off the table, putting them neatly into a briefcase.
- In four years, there was just the one breakthrough: the cork mat.
- I looked at the living room we were sitting in, noticing that the main color was red and beige and even the eating table had red mats on it.
- I will need some moisture mats - thick layers of hemp fibre matting which sit on top of the waste.
- After the clear-cutting, the north slope germinated a thick mat of young Douglas fir and larch.
- They both had thick mats of curly blonde hair that had a tendency to get thick with dust and dirt, and they were both husky and cleverly ugly.
transitive verb -tt-
- (usually passive) to be matted (fur/fibers)his hair was matted and dirtyestar apelmazadotenía el pelo enmarañado y sucioExample sentences
- Her sandy hair was matted and tangled, but her eyes shone with crystal clear radiance.
- Her hair was all matted down and tangled, and I couldn't start to imagine her taking less than an hour to fix it.
- By now, the sun is up and angrily drying up your sweat, matting your hair and hardening your uniform.
intransitive verb -tt-
- (fur/carpet)apelmazarse(hair)enmarañarseExample sentences
- At night, protect your hair with a satin scarf, bonnet or pillowcase, which prevents split ends, tangling and matting, and preserves your hair style.
- This step can prevent your hair from thinning, matting or breaking.
- Daily brushing is almost mandatory to keep the hair from matting up.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
ESO (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria) is one of the stages of secondary education established in Spain by the