Translation of matter in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (substance) (Philos, Physics)Example sentences1.2 (Medicine) (discharge)
- In general, the distinction between matter and antimatter is somewhat arbitrary.
- Einstein described what we call gravity as curves in space and time, created by matter and energy.
- As a result, the energy exchange between matter and radiation becomes less efficient.
also: subject matterform and matterforma y contenido1.4 (written, printed material) printed matterimpresos (masculine plural)reading mattermaterial (masculine) de lectura1.5 (Printing) (composed type)galeradas (feminine plural)(material to be composed) manuscrito (masculine)
- Students of a nearby school found poisonous organic matter in water samples they studied.
- It can be discounted here because of the absence of clay minerals and organic matter in freshly erupted ash.
- If your soil is high in clay or sand, add organic matter to break up clay particles for better drainage.
- 2 2.1 (question, affair) let's say no more about the matterno digamos nada más sobre el asunto or la cuestióna matter of great importance/of national interestun asunto or un tema de gran importancia/de interés nacionallet's try and keep to the matter in handtratemos de ceñirnos al asunto or al tema que estamos tratandothat's another o a different mattereso es otra cosathis is a matter for the police
eso es diferenteesto requiere la intervención de la policíait's a matter for her to decidees ella quien tiene que decidirthat's a matter of tasteeso es cuestión de gustosit's only a matter of timesolo es cuestión de tiempothat's a matter of opinioneso es discutibleit's just a matter of getting on a planeno hay más que tomarse un aviónI won't eat there as a matter of principle as a matter of interest, what does he do for a living?
es cuestión de tomarse un avión, nada máspor pura curiosidad ¿en qué trabaja?we always keep a copy as a matter of coursetenemos por norma conservar una copiathere's the little matter of the two million they owe [ironic]está el pequeño detalle de los dos millones que deben [irónico]it's no laughing matterno es motivo de risa
no es (como) para reírseExample sentences
- A brief consideration of the matter shows that it is a serious situation.
- A Scottish Executive spokesman said matters arising from the inquiry were a matter for the Crown Office.
- All the above noted issues are matters for discussion and consideration.
also: matters pluralas matters standtal y como están las cosasto make matters worsepara colmo (de males)I can't see how that will help mattersyo no veo que eso vaya a ayudarmatters arising 2.3 (approximate amount)a matter
- His defence of spin is not unreasonable: of course politicians do what they can to present matters in the light that reflects best on them.
- It has to be said that this was a very poor affair and to make matters even worse from a Johnville point of view, they lost the game.
- To make matters worse, our affair had been common knowledge amongst most members of her family.
ofsomethingcuestión (feminine) or cosa (feminine)it was all over in a matter of seconds dealgotodo acabó en cuestión or cosa de segundos2.4 (in phrases) as a matter of factas a matter of fact, I've never been to Spainla verdad es que or en realidad nunca he estado en EspañaI think I will have a cup of coffee, as a matter of factpensándolo bien, me voy a tomar un caféas a matter of fact, we were just leavingjusto nos íbamosfor that matter I wouldn't tell you; or anyone else, for that matterno te lo diría; ni a ti ni a nadie, en realidadyou can have it with rice or pasta; or both, for that matterlo puedes comer con arroz o con pasta; o con las dos cosas, si quieresno matter (as interjection)no importa(as conjunction) no matter how hard I try, you're never satisfiedpor mucho que me esfuerce, nunca estás satisfechono matter what your opinion of him may be, you have to admit that …independientemente del concepto que puedas tener de él, tienes que reconocer que …I want you back by 9 o'clock, no matter whatquiero que estés de vuelta a las nueve, pase lo que paseit'll look terrible, no matter where you put itva a quedar horrible, lo pongas donde lo pongasno matter how cheap/large/tall it ispor barato/grande/alto que sea
- 3 (problem, trouble) what's the matter?¿qué pasa?what's the matter/what was the matter with you?¿qué te pasa/pasaba?what's the matter with Jane/the typewriter?¿qué le pasa a Jane/a la máquina de escribir?is anything the matter with Alice?¿le pasa algo a Alice?something's the matter o there's something the matter with heralgo le pasawhat's the matter with it? why won't you eat it?¿qué tiene (de malo) que no lo quieres comer?
- it doesn't matterno importathey win the games that matter
da igualganan los partidos realmente importantes or que realmente importandoes it matter how old I am?¿qué importancia tiene mi edad?what matters most is that we stick togetherlo más importante es que nos mantengamos unidosto matter
tosomebodymoney is the only thing that matters to her/themel dinero es lo único que le/les importagetting this job matters a lot to meconseguir este trabajo significa mucho para mínothing matters to me any moreya nada me importaExample sentences
- Material things are not important and don't matter to us anymore.
- I don't think it mattered to him and I suspect it didn't matter to most of the audience.
- Things that used to matter to her before didn't matter now that she had this.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.