transitive verb past tense & past participle meant
- 1 (represent, signify) what does this word mean?¿qué significa or qué quiere decir esta palabra?this sign means stopesta señal quiere decir or significa que debes parardark clouds mean rainlos nubarrones son señal de lluviathat means troubleeso quiere decir que va a haber problemasin a competitive market, price means everythingen un mercado competitivo, el precio lo es todothat doesn't mean (that) he doesn't love youeso no quiere decir que no te quierato mean something
tosomebodydoes the number 0296 mean anything to you?¿el número 0296 te dice algo?fame means nothing/a lot to herla fama la tiene sin cuidado/es muy importante para ellamy children mean the world to memis hijos lo son todo or son muy importantes para míExample sentences
- It was a slow kiss, intended to mean a promise of a future together.
- ‘Hey freak,’ Jesse greeted, his tone implying that he had meant it strictly as an insult.
- The question is whether that means it intends to triple its workforce.
- Lenin named his small movement the Bolsheviks, a word meaning majority.
- The word once meant the description of a work of visual art within a poem, but has come to mean poetic description more generally.
- The word also means a narrowing of the eyes so that you can get a clearer view, and an affliction where the eyes are not in line.
- 2 2.1 (refer to, intend to say)(person)what do you mean?
querer decir¿qué quieres decir (con eso)?do you mean (to say) that … ?¿quieres decir que … ?I'm in a difficult situation, if you know what I meanmi situación es difícil ¿me entiendes or comprendes?I know exactly what you mean that's not what I meantno es eso lo que quise decirhe's Swedish, I mean, Swisses sueco, (qué) digo, suizoI know who you meanya sé de quién hablas or a quién te refieresI don't know which one he meantno sé a cuál se referíawhat do you mean you can't go?¿cómo que no puedes ir?what's that supposed to mean? I mean, what a nerve! (British)¡pero qué descaro!Example sentences2.2 (be serious about)
decir en serioI mean what I say!¡va or lo digo en serio!don't worry, he didn't mean it
- Mike had the feeling that, deep down inside, she genuinely meant it.
- ‘Thank you,’ she said, and the genuine look in her eyes told me that she really meant it.
- ‘I'm glad to hear it,’ he replied, and the genuine smile he gave me let me know he meant it.
- 3 (equal, entail) this means I can't take the day offesto significa que no me puedo tomar el día librebeing 40 doesn't mean I can't wear fashionable clothes any more(el) que tenga 40 años no quiere decir que ya no me pueda vestir a la modato mean
-ingif we can't find it here, it means going into townsi no lo encontramos aquí, vamos a tener que ir al centrothat would mean repainting the kitcheneso supondría or implicaría que habría que volver a pintar la cocinaExample sentences
- Either way, being a performer meant being involved in the compositional process.
- A day out in Edinburgh does usually mean walking around the city, but suppose we just stayed in-doors.
- 4 4.1 (intend) he didn't mean (you) any harmno quiso hacerte dañoto mean to +
no lo hizo por mal
infinitiveI mean to succeedmi intención es triunfardo you really mean to leave so early?
me propongo triunfar¿realmente piensas salir tan temprano?I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that I didn't mean to make you cryno fue mi intención hacerte llorarI meant to do it but I forgottenía toda la intención de hacerlo pero me olvidéI've been meaning to talk to youhace tiempo que quiero hablar contigoI don't mean to pry, but …no quiero pecar de entrometido pero …to mean somebody/something to +
infinitiveshe meant me to tell youquería que yo te lo dijerawe didn't mean it to end this wayno fue nuestra intención que terminara asíI meant it to be a surpriseyo quería que fuera una sorpresaI meant it as a complimentlo dije con la intención de halagarte ( or halagarla etc. )what did you mean (by) hitting your brother like that?
quise hacerte ( or hacerle etc. ) un cumplido¿qué pretendías pegándole así a tu hermano?the bullet was meant for mela bala iba dirigida a míthese spoons aren't meant for soupestas cucharas no son para sopawe were meant for each otherestamos hechos el uno para el otro4.2to be meant to +
infinitive(supposed, intended)our love was not meant to beestaba escrito que nuestro amor era imposibleyou weren't meant to get the jobel trabajo no era para tiyou weren't meant to hear thatno pensaron ( or pensé etc. ) que tú estarías escuchandoI was never meant to be a teacheryo no estoy hecho para enseñarthe money was meant to last
yo no tengo madera de profesorse suponía que el dinero iba a durarI was meant to be there at 6 o'clock (British)(se suponía que) tenía que estar allí a las seis
- 1 (miserly)Example sentences
- And if you keep being so mean with the price, people might be so angry about it, and they might even burn things down.
- They were horrible - greedy and interfering, and mean and small-minded.
- 2 2.1 (unkind, nasty) lend it to him, don't be so meanpréstaselo, no seas maloit was really mean of youfue una maldad (de tu parte)you were really mean to meme trataste muy malI was in a mean temperestaba de muy mal humor or genioestaba de un humor de perros [colloquial]Example sentences2.2 (excellent) (esp US) [slang] he makes a mean guacamole
hace un guacamole genial or fantásticohace un guacamole de puta madre (Spain) [vulgar]Example sentences
- She didn't know why, but for some reason she couldn't be spiteful or mean to this man anymore.
- That was probably why he had been so horribly mean to Conner in his room earlier.
- She didn't mean to be mean and cruel but things slip once in while, things she can't control.
- I see someone funny and sweet who cooks a mean steak and does a lousy John Wayne impression.
- We opt for number two, and discover the dipso cooks a mean cheese omelette.
- Day has an incredibly luminous screen presence, and in every scene they share, she matches Cagney's swagger with a mean strut of her own.
- arithmetic/geometric meanmedia aritmética/geométricasee also→ meansExample sentences
- The price may rise and fall, but the average mean is what the cost will turn out to be.
- Centering consists of subtracting the sample mean from each independent variable.
- The means and coefficients of variation of output and input variables are reported in Table 1.
- (before noun) the mean annual rainfallla precipitación pluvial media anual
la media anual de lluviaExample sentences
- In dealing with commodities such as butter, we recognize patterns in charts and calculate the mean average over a period of time.
- To control for the professional experience of the firm's founding team, I calculated the mean age for the set of founders for each law firm.
- Following convention, quantity terms were normalized using the data means to have mean values of one.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.