Translation of memory in Spanish:
noun plural memories
- 1 1.1 uncountable and countable (faculty) if (my) memory serves me right to recite/play something from memoryrecitar/tocar algo de memoriato have a good/poor or bad memorytener buena/mala memoria(for education) tener mucha/poca retentivaI've no memory for facesno soy buen fisonomistaloss of memorypérdida (feminine) de la memoria(Medicine)to have a memory like a sieve
amnesia (feminine)tener la cabeza como un colador1.2 uncountable (period) it all took place within living memory
tener muy mala memoriatodo sucedió en nuestro tiempothe worst storm in living memoryla peor tormenta que se recuerde or de que se tenga memoriaExample sentences
- After one of the most hectic holiday seasons in recent memory, many of us have settled in for equally hectic work schedules.
- So here it is: the opening salvo in what looks to be the worst summer-movie season in recent memory.
- But, even in adults, memory for recent events is transient unless it is refreshed by rehearsal.
- 2 2.1 countable (recollection) to have a vague/vivid memory of something/somebodytener un recuerdo vago/vívido de algo/alguienshe has fond/unhappy memories of her childhoodtiene gratos/malos recuerdos de su infanciaI have no memory of itno lo recuerdohis memory will live onsu recuerdo permanecerá vivoExample sentences2.2 uncountable (remembrance) in memory of somebody
a la memoria or en memoria de alguienin memory of somethingen conmemoración de algowe do this in his memoryhacemos esto en memoria suyaour dear mother of blessed memory [formal]nuestra querida madre, que en gloria estéExample sentences
- I have no recollection of my past memories, except periodic flashbacks of my previous life.
- What happened during that week was just a bad memory in the past.
- Imagine groggily waking up in a strange house, surrounded by unfamiliar faces, with not a single memory of the past ten hours.
- A candlelit vigil took place in Huyton last night, one week after the alleged assault, to honour the dead teenager's memory.
- The memory of the dead is respected, by visitor and host alike.
- I've instructed all agencies to honor their memory by treating the dead with the dignity and respect they deserve.
- 3 countable and uncountable (Computing)Example sentences
- During an initialization phase, an access code is stored in a memory of a computer system.
- When the light pulse stops, its information is suspended and stored, just as information is stored in the memory of a computer.
- A reconnaissance satellite, placed into orbit years ago, captures the entire scene in its computer memory.
- There is a virtual hard drive available in the Internet with plenty of memory to store personal information.
- The latest MP3 technology compresses all superfluous parts of a sound signal to reduce the amount of memory needed to store digital information.
- Depending on the level, you will have different amounts of system memory in which to store your subroutines.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.