Translation of merit in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable/no numerable (excellence) mérito (masculine) a man of merit un hombre de mérito a work of artistic merit una obra de mérito artístico he was chosen purely on merit lo eligieron exclusivamente por sus méritos (before noun/delante del nombre) merit system[ sistema de ascensos por méritos ]Example sentences1.2 countable/numerable (praiseworthy quality) each case is judged on its (own) merits se juzga cada caso individualmente or por separado the plan was accepted on its financial merits se aceptó el plan por sus ventajas económicas each option has its merits and its demerits todas las opciones tienen sus ventajas y desventajas or sus pros y sus contras there is no o isn't any merit in prolonging the dispute no tiene ningún sentido prolongar el conflicto
- It makes no sense in a world that bases reward on merit alone, but our God operates on a different level.
- A direct result of this tragedy was the Pendleton Act in 1883, which sought to make entry into the service dependent on merit rather than on reward.
- All of this clearly has the appearance of rewards based on political favoritism, rather than rewards based on merit.
- 2 (British English/inglés británico) [Sch] [Univ] ≈ mención (feminine) especial to pass with merit aprobar* con mención especialExample sentences
- University admissions requirements will vary from institution to institution, but are likely to expect either a merit or a distinction grade.
- I am pretty confident that I have passed all my assignments with high enough marks to proceed to the dissertation, with a few recent assignments scoring merits or distinctions.
- Technical merit scores dipped as low as 5.2 to reflect the lack of jump content.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- merecer*, ser* digno de
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Venezuela, pasapalo is small portions of food that are usually served with drinks at parties, bars, and social get-togethers.