Translation of merit in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable (excellence) a man of meritun hombre de méritoa work of artistic merituna obra de mérito artísticohe was chosen purely on meritlo eligieron exclusivamente por sus méritos(before noun) merit system(sistema de ascensos por méritos)Example sentences1.2 countable (praiseworthy quality) each case is judged on its (own) merits
se juzga cada caso individualmente or por separadothe plan was accepted on its financial meritsse aceptó el plan por sus ventajas económicaseach option has its merits and its demeritstodas las opciones tienen sus ventajas y desventajas or sus pros y sus contrasthere is no o isn't any merit in prolonging the disputeno tiene ningún sentido prolongar el conflicto
- It makes no sense in a world that bases reward on merit alone, but our God operates on a different level.
- A direct result of this tragedy was the Pendleton Act in 1883, which sought to make entry into the service dependent on merit rather than on reward.
- All of this clearly has the appearance of rewards based on political favoritism, rather than rewards based on merit.
- 2 (British English) (School, University)≈ mención (feminine) especialto pass with meritaprobar con mención especialExample sentences
- University admissions requirements will vary from institution to institution, but are likely to expect either a merit or a distinction grade.
- I am pretty confident that I have passed all my assignments with high enough marks to proceed to the dissertation, with a few recent assignments scoring merits or distinctions.
- Technical merit scores dipped as low as 5.2 to reflect the lack of jump content.
ser digno de
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.