Translation of middle in Spanish:
- 1 (of object, place — center)(— half-way line)it stood in the middle of the roomthey were playing in the middle of the roadestaba en el centro or en (el) medio or en la mitad de la habitaciónmuch of the play was confined to the middle of the fieldestaban jugando en (el) medio or en la mitad de la callethe industries are concentrated in the middle of the countryel partido se concentró en el centro del campoin the middle of nowhere we cut the cake down the middlelas industrias se concentran en el centro del paísto split something down the middlepartimos el pastel por la mitadthe party is split down the middle over this issuedividir algo por la mitadel partido está dividido en dos sectores de opinión sobre este problemaExample sentences
- If the action is in the middle, both sides are cropped.
- Well here I have a single bed, so, my favourite side is the middle.
- In the middle of the two sides of this are large domes built on pillars of the same height as those of the outer arcade and an upper gallery runs all round it.
- 2 (of period, activity) See examples: in the middle of the week/month/year/centuryit's the middle of wintera mediados de semana/mes/año/sigloin the middle of the day the temperature can reach …estamos en pleno inviernoin the middle of the night/concertalrededor del medio día la temperatura suele alcanzar …to be in the middle of something/en la mitad de la noche/del concierto
-ingI'm in the middle of cooking dinnerI'm in the middle of a really exciting novel at the momentestoy preparando la cenawe were right in the middle of eating when the doorbell rangen este momento estoy leyendo una novela muy interesanteto knock somebody into the middle of next week [colloquial]sonó el timbre justo cuando estábamos comiendoromperle el alma or la crisma a alguien [colloquial]
- 3 (waist) the water came up to his middleel agua le llegaba a la cinturaExample sentences
- She was shorter than I was by a good ten inches, round about the middle, but with the firm energy that my father used to possess.
- He was tall and broad-chested, if a bit round at the middle, and dressed much better than these other two.
- One was slightly large round the middle, the other wearing a very short skirt and denim jacket.
- (before noun) the middle house of the threemiddle fingerde las tres, la casa de en medio or del medioshe was the middle childdedo (masculine) medio or del corazónwe had reached the middle point of our journeyella era la (hija) de en medio or del medioin his middle yearshabíamos llegado a la mitad de nuestro recorridoen su madurezExample sentences
- Each member of the team is credited with the time of the fifth team member to cross the finish line; this is the middle member of a nine-person team.
- In their middle years, the members of the Baby Boom generation will face the inevitability of their mortality.
- Denami, the middle brother, comes upon this bear and, thinking it killed the first brother, vows revenge.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.