- 1 (building, machine) to go through the mill (person)vérselas negras [colloquial]it can take months for an application to go through the administrative mill
pasarlas durasel trámite de una solicitud puede llevar meses de papeleoto put somebody through the millhacerle sudar la gota gorda a alguienExample sentences
- At mills or bakeries, barley flour can be added to flours from other grains for baking.
- Then, just a short distance from the church, the archaeologists discovered evidence of metalworking, a mill and farm buildings.
- Formed out of an old flour mill, the building has a powerful green pre-patinated louvred wall which modifies sun penetration of the interior.
- Terrestrial centrifugal grinding mills and density-separation jigs can be adapted for this work.
- In colonial America, small streams powered rural grist mills and sawmills.
- In Hobart and Launceston the colonists captured the waters of nearby streams to power flour mills.
- 2 (grinder for pepper etc)Example sentences
- Also at odds with the ‘fine dining’ experience were the salt and pepper shakers on each table - not a pepper or salt mill in sight.
- The fish is seasoned with salt and a few twists of a mill containing peppercorns and allspice berries.
- Refined white flour is what's left after the nutrient-packed germ and bran are milled out of the wheat kernel.
- Heritage also uses freshly milled flour, purchased from a local miller, and both bakeries use a slow-rise yeast to make their bread.
- Now quickly add the chives, ricotta, torta Gorgonzola and pecorino plus a seasoning of freshly milled pepper and stir until the cheese begins to melt.
- 2 2.1 (process)(steel)
laminar(cloth)2.2 (with milling machine)
batanarfresarmilled edgecanto (masculine) acordonado
cordoncillo (masculine)Example sentences
- Drills, lathes, and milling machines produce metal trimmings that machine shops discard as trash or melt down for reuse.
- This reminds me of one time that the chiller broke down and it took about 13 1/2 hours to put a new shaft in it because it had to be milled at a machine shop and then put in there.
- Off to one side is a modern CNC machine center, and the lathes and milling machines are of a newer vintage.
- (circulate) a milling crowdun remolino de genteconfused thoughts were milling around inside her headpensamientos confusos le daban vueltas en la cabeza or bullían en su cabezathe guests milled about o around outside the church waiting for newslos invitados daban vueltas fuera de la iglesia a la espera de noticiasExample sentences
- The crowd was moving, milling around with boredom as they slowly began to disperse.
- Adam slammed on the brakes when he got a glimpse of the animals milling around in a large lot.
- The extras mill around, picture-perfect huddled masses wearing scarves and winter coats fresh from wardrobe.
- (in US) (Finance)milésima (feminine) de dólar (unidad usada en el cálculo de impuestos)Example sentences
- A thick paper (and later a lightweight metal) coin with a round hole in the center, the mill was worth one-tenth of a cent.
- Starting in 1933 the sales tax rate in Utah was 2% and each token was worth one mill, or a tenth of a cent.
- I remember the mill, a piece of currency that was used for a few years near the end of World War II and just after.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.