Translation of mimic in Spanish:
transitive verb -ck-
- 1 (imitate)Example sentences
- Mary screams in horror and the girls mimic her every word.
- Angie, Kasie, Nate and I all make a game of trying to mimic someone else's voice and hoping Dad does not recognize us.
- When he was a kid he loved mimicking people which had us in stitches.
- 2 (Biology)(sound)
imitar(reproduce appearance of) camuflarse or mimetizarse adquiriendo la apariencia deExample sentences
- Weeds mimic plants, viruses trick the immune system, birds build nests and predators stalk - all engaging in strategies so successful that they look, but cannot possibly be, intentional.
- The ruse works so successfully that some 30 other non-venomous snakes have mimicked the coral snake and share similar color patterns.
- A variety of insects, including some beetles and moths, mimic bees and wasps.
- 1 (person)imitador, (-dora) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- A great mimic of voice and gesture, Mogulesco could impersonate anyone: rich, poor, male, female, elder, youth.
- Nor did we expect him to be so talented a mimic; he can imitate both of us, just as he can imitate break dancers and gymnasts and snakes and lemurs.
- His ability as a mimic enabled him to copy Gandhi's voice intonations virtually perfectly.
- 2 (Biology)Example sentences
- The best known mimics in the animal world are birds.
- A similar explanation has been proposed for other animal mimics that show evidence of vocal learning.
- In particular, one widely held belief is that there should always be strong selection pressure on mimics to resemble their models as closely as possible.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.