- 1.1 (absence of conceit) modestia (feminine) I would tell you about it, but modesty forbids te lo contaría, pero pecaría de poco modesto in all modesty, I think … modestamente or con toda modestia, creo que …More example sentences1.2 (limited size) [formal] lo modesto
More example sentences1.3 (propriety) recato (masculine), pudor (masculine) to outrage sb's modesty ofender el pudor de algn
- He had shown no false modesty about his ability to avoid the gardener.
- He is intelligent, engaging and nimbly treads the line between humility and false modesty.
- It's not false modesty, but the viewing nation has had three solid months of me and now they need a break.
More example sentences
- At the cathedral, Paul and his wife Jenny lived in relative modesty in a part of what was originally built as the bishop's palace.
- Is the relative modesty of the damages a reflection of the fact that the amount was determined by a judge and not by a jury?
- His family was quite wealthy, but modesty was what they possessed in great amounts.
- ‘The idea is that your modesty in dress and behavior is a passport to public space,’ he said.
- But faith in the classical virtues of decorum and modesty remained with him until his death.
- ‘Since Father is unavailable that would be acceptable,’ she ducked her head in a gesture the steward took as maidenly modesty, but actually was meant to hide her smile.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.