- 1 (Zoology)Example sentences
- The fur of moles is velvety and can lie equally well in any direction, which allows easy movement in the burrows backward as well as forwards.
- Although moles feed on beneficial invertebrates as well as lawn pests, they rarely affect the populations of either.
- While bats are highly specialized for flight, they share anatomical characters with the Insectivora, the mammalian taxon that includes shrews and moles.
- 2 (spy, informant)Example sentences
- There may have been a mole planted by the security services inside the terror cells in the country.
- What about a mole being a double agent who establishes a cover long before beginning espionage?
- That search for the supposed mole within CIA severely damaged the careers of some CIA officers.
- For £50,000 we will finger moles within your organisation.
- One of Asymmetrical Information's moles forwards this item from Businessweek.
- I've good reason to believe there's a mole in our organization.
- (on skin)Example sentences
- It's essential that people monitor their moles and skin blemishes and report any changes in them.
- Melanoma first appears as a mole or skin discoloration.
- Although moles do often change slightly over a lifetime, that change should not occur over months or years.
- (breakwater)Example sentences
- The north and south moles connect to the shore and the seabed ascends from 30m to nothing along the length of them.
- To this end, Alexander ordered his engineers to build a mole - a land bridge from the mainland to the island.
- The moles were built to protect Lagos' valuable harbor from the fierce action of the waves and to prevent sand from entering the deeply dredged harbor on the ocean surge.
- (Chemistry) (unit)mol (masculine)
molécula (feminine) gramoExample sentences
- One chaotic chemical system that has been well studied is a mixture of equal numbers of moles of carbon monoxide and oxygen with a small amount of molecular hydrogen.
- In the decomposition, four moles of nitroglycerin decompose into approximately 30 moles of carbon dioxide, water, nitrogen, and oxygen.
- The number of moles present in any amount of the solution can be calculated by multiplying the molarity by the volume.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.