- 1 (bowl)Example sentences
- With a mortar and pestle, crush the thyme, garlic, and peppercorns and place. in a large saucepan.
- They can be ground easily in a mortar and pestle or in an electric spice or coffee grinder.
- Individual garnets were cut from selected samples, crushed in a mortar and pestle and sieved.
- 2 (weapon)Example sentences
- A spokesman for the Polish-led forces reportedly said the insurgents used a car bomb, mortars and machine guns.
- The Rev Alan Reeve went to preach in Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic, last month and was evacuated two weeks later following an attack of mortar bombs and machine gun fire.
- Near Baquba, insurgents coordinated a car bombing and a mortar attack on a police station.
- (Military)bombardear con morterosExample sentences
- In June 2004, the Post Exchange here was mortared, killing two Soldiers and wounding more than a dozen additional troops.
- Staff Sergeant Brian Flading, a 19D Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran, remembers an incident when his platoon was mortared one night in Balad.
- In a couple of minutes we're in an even poorer-looking neighborhood, bouncing slowly on a street that resembles a heavily mortared battlefield.
- uncountable (cement)Example sentences
- The major components of construction, as we all know, are, cement, steel, timber, bricks, mortar, sand, etc.
- A recycling operation takes concrete, brick, mortar and plaster from building sites and grinds them down into building soil to be sold.
- In addition to using the same granite, the original mortar was matched with Portland cement lime mortar.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.