Translation of movement in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable (motion) 1.2 countable (action, gesture)(with the hand)there was a sudden movement in the bushes
ademán (masculine)de repente algo se movió entre los arbustos1.3 countable or uncountable (change — of position)(— in opinion)a forward movement, a movement forward
giro (masculine)un movimiento hacia adelanteshe made a quick movement sidewaysse echó a un lado rápidamentethere was a general movement toward the exittodo el mundo se fue hacia la salidatroop movementsmovimientos de tropasExample sentences1.4
also: movements plural(activities, whereabouts)desplazamientos (masculine plural)
- Characters in a story operate to make the story's movement visible and concrete, in a way that engages a reader's interest.
- But the language and movement of the poem also emphasize that if the speaker is on a journey, his destination is quite unknown.
- There was a general sense of movement toward waking now.
movimientos (masculine plural)Example sentences1.5 uncountable (animation, activity)
(in stock market)
- The investigation quite early led us to have concerns about the movements and activities of four men, three of whom came from the West Yorkshire area.
- There is evidence of mine clearing activities, movements of soldiers, bunkers around buildings and military pillboxes perched on the tops of hills.
- Players' movements and activities are so closely monitored that it is hard for anyone to approach or speak to the players, leave alone attempt to fix matches.
actividad (feminine)Example sentences
- After breakfast, the Menen is bustling with activity and movement.
- Without context we end up on a merry-go-round of activity and movement that never seems to get us to where we want to be.
- The tavern was lively, bustling with movement and much drinking.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (transportation) 2.2 (travel)Example sentences
- I support the free movement of capital but not the free movement of labour.
- I noticed her slight body movements to approach her shoulder bag.
- And in the slightest of movements, she kissed him back.
- 3 countable (Art, Politics, Religion) the movement for reform is gaining groundel movimiento pro-reforma está ganando terrenoExample sentences
- What's more important right now for the embattled labor movement, politics or organizing?
- Here in Maine we have done some great steps putting labor and progressive movement groups together.
- Our political and social liberation movements need to regain the initiative.
- It should be a source of optimism for us all that even at an early stage of the crisis, there is a substantial opposition movement to war.
- Yorkshire campaigners behind a national movement to help thyroid sufferers want to set up shop in York.
- We ended up spending an hour fuming over the new government movement to bring down university student representative groups.
- 4 countablealso: bowel movement[euphemistic] to have a movementevacuar or mover el vientre [formal]Example sentences
- If you don't have at least 1 bowel movement per day, you are already walking your way toward disease.
- The urge came and went a few times until I experienced a more intense cramp that resulted in my first movement of the day.
- As a general rule, a healthy colon produces two movements a day.
- 5 countable (of clock, watch)Example sentences
- In his 80s he was repairing the finest of watch movements, making electrical and electronic clocks, and rebuilding mechanical ones.
- Although one finds some identical movements in clocks by a given Roxbury maker, one also finds identical movements in clocks by different Roxbury makers.
- Meanwhile, clock movements improved in design and manufacture.
- 6 countable (Music)Example sentences
- Shostakovich's slow movements always represent the composer at his most eloquent and deeply personal.
- Only the bass line and six bars of melody had survived, possibly from the slow movement of a Trio Sonata.
- The first movement changes views and tempi in what seems like every few bars or so.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.