adjNational Book Award
- 1.1 (of country) nacional our national anthem nuestro himno nacional they were wearing their national costume onational dress llevaban sus trajes típicos the national debt la deuda nacional national holiday fiesta (f) nacional, fiesta (f) patria (AmL) national monument monumento (m) nacional national security seguridad (f) nacional 1.2 (not local, regional) [news/team/organization] nacional; [campaign/reputation] a nivel nacional they plan to go national tienen intención de empezar a operar a escala or a nivel nacionalMore example sentences
- The two-hour show was televised on the national network so the whole country could watch.
- The national team turns the whole country orange and has a massive appeal to the fans.
- But the underlining issue is the coverage the game as a whole receives from national media.
peronismo is a political movement, known officially as justicialismo, named for the populist politician Colonel Juan Domingo Perón, elected President of Argentina in 1946. An admirer of Italian fascism, Perón claimed always to be a champion of the workers and the poor, the descamisados (shirtless ones), to whom his first wife Eva Duarte (`Evita') became a kind of icon, especially after her death in 1952. Although he instituted some social reforms, Perón's regime proved increasingly repressive and he was ousted by the army in 1955. He returned from exile to become president in 1973, but died in office a year later. The Partido Justicialista has governed Argentina almost continuously since 1989, under Presidents Carlos Menem, Néstor Kirchner, and Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, Néstor Kirchner's widow, who was re-elected President in 2011.
- ciudadano, -na (m,f) foreign nationals los ciudadanos extranjerosMore example sentences
- Children of foreign nationals born prior to this date automatically received Irish citizenship.
- This status affords less legal protection than foreign nationals would receive in China.
- The outbreak of war also meant he had to return to Russia, as he was a foreign national in Germany.