adj (-er, -est)
- 1 1.1 (in position) cercano, próximo several of the nearer constellations varias de las constelaciones más cercanas or próximas the nearest store la tienda más cercana these binoculars make everything look very near con estos prismáticos parece que todo está muy cercaMore example sentences1.2 (in time) cercano, próximo
More example sentences1.3 (in approximation) parecido the two shades were very near los dos tonos eran muy parecidos that's the nearest thing to an apology you can expect from him eso es lo más parecido a una disculpa que se puede esperar de él 1.4 (closely related) [relative] cercano
- Once over the top the survivors had a clear view of the building in the near distance.
- Gardens and trees could be seen along the railway and highway, in contrast to the vast desert in the near distance.
- From his map, he knows there is an oasis somewhere in the near distance.
More example sentences
- However, he insisted the EGM would be going ahead in the near future.
- We are going ahead with that and there will be reserves in the near future.
- Rudin says that a meeting with the judge who controls space allocation in Old City Hall is expected in the near future.
- A near relative is the larger and better-known Chinese water chestnut.
- Other fossil animals may be assignable to the Vetulicolia or their near relatives.
- Many a times, even the near relatives do not reveal the information about the boy's family.
- 2 (British English/inglés británico) [Cars/Automovilismo] [Equestrianism/Equitación] izquierdo the near front wheel la rueda delantera izquierda
- 3 (virtual) (before noun/delante del nombre) there was near panic when the alarms sounded casi se produjo el pánico cuando sonaron las alarmas in a state of near exhaustion prácticamente en estado de agotamientoMore example sentences
- Despite my near despair, I was in my usual seat yesterday afternoon.
- A bullock cart, the cause of the near disaster, materialized from the flurry.
- Durrant leaned in close to his newest acquaintance and spoke in a near whisper.
Paro is the name in Spain for both unemployment and unemployment benefit. The period for which paro can be claimed ranges from three months to a year, depending on how long a person has been working. The amount paid decreases over the period of unemployment.
adv (-er, -est)
- 1 1.1 (in position) cerca I go home for lunch as I live quite near voy a almorzar a casa porque vivo muy cerca I've got a cold, so don't come any nearer estoy resfriado, así que no te (me) acerques don't go any nearer to the edge no te acerques más al borde from near and far de todas partesMore example sentences1.2 (in time) your birthday's getting near now se acerca tu cumpleaños we're getting near to Christmas ya falta poco para Navidad we'll have another rehearsal nearer to the actual day haremos otro ensayo cuando estemos más cerca de la fecha 1.3 (in approximation) it's not exactly the same, but it comes pretty near no es exactamente igual pero se le parece mucho or [colloquial/familiar] le anda cerca her work is very near to perfect su trabajo es casi perfecto the total will be nearer to $1,000 than $500 el total va a estar más cerca de 1.000 que de 500 dólares this is the nearest to what you want esto es lo más parecido a lo que tú quieres 1.4 (on the verge of)near
- Cars from near and far converged in the night to watch the mountains glow red.
- He scares away anyone who comes near and then feels sorry for himself when he realizes he is alone.
- After he moved in he didn't know if he would be able to sleep with her so near and not hold her in his arms.
tosth/ -ingshe was near to tears estaba al borde de las lágrimas or a punto de echarse a llorar management and unions are near to an agreement la empresa y los sindicatos están a punto de llegar a un acuerdo I came very near to hitting him estuve a punto de pegarle, por poco le pegoMore example sentences
- I near shrieked as he fell to the floor, a perfect, coin shaped hole, dotted between his eyebrows.
- We damn near won against the most corrupt and well-oiled slime machine in history.
- I damn near laughed at the pathetic expression on his face as he holds up his decapitated hand!
- 2 (nearly) casi are you anywhere near finished? [colloquial/familiar] ¿ya estás por terminar?, ¿te falta poco para terminar? that's nowhere near enough [colloquial/familiar] con eso no alcanza, ni mucho menos are you ready? — nowhere near! [colloquial/familiar] ¿estás listo? — ¡ni soñar! or (in River Plate area also/en Río de la Plata también) ¡ni miras! it'll cost $1,000, near enough [colloquial/familiar] costará 1.000 dólares, o por ahí [colloquial/familiar] it's near enough complete now [colloquial/familiar] ya está casi or prácticamente terminado
prep (-er, -est)
- 1.1 (in position) cerca de I live near the station vivo cerca de la estación the room nearest the entrance la habitación que está más cerca de la entrada don't go too near the fire no te acerques demasiado al fuego is there a pay phone near here? ¿hay algún teléfono público por aquí cerca or cerca de aquí? she won't let anyone near the kitchen no quiere que nadie se meta en la cocina 1.2 (in time) we're getting very near Christmas falta muy poco para Navidad we'll discuss it again nearer the time lo discutiremos de nuevo más cerca de la fecha the Monday nearest New Year's Day el lunes más próximo al día de Año Nuevo 1.3 (in approximation) damage was estimated at somewhere near $2,000 los daños se calcularon en cerca de 2.000 dólares I'd say he's nearer 70 than 60 yo diría que está más cerca de los 70 que de los 60 the carpet is nearer orange than yellow la alfombra es más bien naranja que amarilla no one comes near her in stamina los deja a todos muy atrás en resistencia 1.4 (on the verge of) to be/come near sth/
-ingthe project is now near completion el proyecto está a punto de acabarse we are no nearer an agreement seguimos sin llegar a un acuerdo I came very near giving up estuve a punto de desistir
- acercarse* a we are nearing our destination nos estamos acercando a nuestro destino he must be nearing his 80th birthday debe faltarle poco para cumplir los 80 the project is nearing completion falta poco para terminar el proyectoMore example sentences
- It was nearing lunchtime when they finally arrived at the palace gates.
- Ali is first seen in Lawrence as a tiny dot on a desert horizon that shimmers in the heat; he gradually becomes more distinct as he nears the camera.
- As this century nears the end, we know that our priorities aren't quite right.