Translation of necessary in Spanish:
- 1 (required) he never does more than is absolutely necessaryit is absolutely necessarynunca hace más de lo estrictamente necesariowe can always give it another coat of paint, if necessaryes imprescindible or precisoto be necessary (siempre le podemos dar otra mano de pintura, si fuera necesario
forsomebody) to + infinitiveit's necessary for all of you to be thereit wasn't necessary for you to be informedes necesario que estén todos allíwas it really necessary to be so rude?no era necesario que se te informara¿había necesidad de ser tan grosero?Example sentences
- We had always stayed out of each others private business, prying only when we deemed it absolutely necessary.
- A jury of experts reviewed a draft of the survey and made changes where necessary.
- Often it's impossible for the architect of a company to make the changes necessary to ensure it survives.
- 2 (inevitable) a necessary evilun mal necesarioExample sentences
- As much as I'd like to think that spying doesn't happen, it's going to happen as a necessary consequence of competition.
- The magazine, he says, is ‘a necessary consequence of their superstar status’.
- He saw radical skepticism as a necessary consequence of the misery of the human condition.
- 1.1 (what is required) [colloquial]the necessary1.2the necessaries (supplies)lo que hace faltalo necesariolo necesarioExample sentences
- Unable to get the human variety, the club has hired a team of four llamas to do the necessary.
- Of course, if she's busy reading or otherwise occupied, she sends the sprog in her place to do the necessary.
- Unafraid of blood and guts, I went with him to the top of the garden where he did the necessary.
- Paul, a successful model with ambitions to run his own place, came up with the necessary.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.