- 1 countable/numerable 1.1 (for fishing, protecting) red (feminine) the net was closing around the gang la red se iba cerrando en torno a la banda to cast one's net wide buscar* en un radio muy amplio we decided to cast our net wider and advertise in the national press decidimos ampliar el radio de nuestra búsqueda y anunciarnos en la prensa nacional to slip through the net she/it slipped through the net se les ( or nos etc) escapó to spread one's net tender* su ( or mi etc) redExample sentences1.2
- He fished with a golden net drawn by cords woven of purple and scarlet threads.
- A good fisherman weaves his own nets with twine and a needle made of whalebone.
- The guides had the students assist with the gathering of the mud samples, water samples, and catching fish and other sea animals with a net.
- 2 countable/numerable [Sport/Deporte] 2.1 (in tennis, volleyball) red (feminine) 2.2 (in soccer, hockey) red (feminine) he put the ball in the back of the net [colloquial/familiar] metió el balón en (el fondo de) la red [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
- Unable to find the net in either game, goals remain a problem.
- Following a run of six successive wins, Paul Simpson's men have taken just one point from their last two matches and failed to find the net in both games.
- However, they had to wait till late in the game to find the net.
- When her kids were growing up, Dale Kephart always had volleyball and badminton nets set up in the backyard.
- Gone will be the trampolines, table tennis tables and badminton nets that occupy the main auditorium on weekday nights when there is no concert.
- Before they took it away I suggested putting up two basketball posts and nets with goal posts underneath them like most other areas have but my pleas have fallen on deaf ears.
- 3 uncountable/no numerable (fabric) tela (feminine) de visillos, voile (masculine) (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) net stockings medias (feminine plural) de mallaExample sentences
- Selecting a modern look, Deepika has chosen mostly chiffons, gossamer net, silk and georgettes for her debut at LIFW.
- Fabrics are given the technological touch with the use of rubberised velvet and wool, mirrored wool crepe, stretch net, organza and spider beaded georgette.
- Cut the front stay from a firmly woven cotton blend for light control or from mediumweight, girdle-like power net fabric for firm control.
- 4 (network) red (feminine)Example sentences
- After someone gives the warning of an enemy in the area, the enemy's location and disposition is then broadcasted over the radio net.
- And because the call was placed into a patch unit, it allowed us to link that net into other radio nets or telephone lines.
- What types of radios and nets are we going to communicate with?
- Maybe H. Zuckerman, presumably a tough cop, was refusing to give her name so they could look up her vital statistics on various computer nets.
- In Europe, prosecutors have brought cases against the alleged online attackers suspected of creating networks of compromised computers, known as bot nets.
- The same could happen with the net - we'll have national nets with firewalls and exorbitant charges.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (-tt-)
- 1 [Business/Comercio] [Finance] [income/profit/cost/weight] neto interest is paid net of tax (British English/inglés británico) el interés se paga después de haber deducido los impuestos
- 2 (overall, final) [effect/result] global
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- (earn) [company/sale] producir* he netted $50,000 se embolsó 50.000 dólares limpios [colloquial/familiar]