- newel (post)Example sentences
- The stairways were built upon spiral vaults, winding round a central newel.
- On older staircases the newel may be held in place with dowels.
- The spent cartridge cases were found lying fairly close together, and the nearest of them appears from the scale plans placed before the jury to have been lying a little less than 4 metres from the newel post at the foot of the stairs.
- Since most fighters were right-handed, the stairways were built in such a way that if you were trying to get up the stairs, the newel post is on your right-hand side.
- On top of the newel post, use a wooden fitting called a starting easement, which caps off the post and provides a transition to the handrail.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.