adjective nicer, nicest
- 1 1.1 (kind, amiable)(kind-hearted) bueno(friendly) simpáticoyou're too nice he's a very nice persones muy buena personashe did it in the nicest possible way
es muy majo (Spain) [colloquial]lo hizo con mucha delicadezato be nice
aboutsomethingit was entirely our fault, but he was very nice about itfue todo por culpa nuestra, pero él estuvo muy comprensivoto be nice tosomebodyser amableshe's very nice to me conalguien
tratar bien a alguienes muy amable conmigohow nice of you to ask us
me trata muy bienmuchas gracias por invitarnosMr Nice GuyDon PerfectoExample sentences1.2 (attractive, appealing) you look very nice today!
(to a woman) ¡estás muy guapa or bonita hoy!
- I was very nice to the guy who called, after all, he was just the survey taker.
- The girls loved Chris, the guys were cool with him, and he was relatively nice to every person he met.
- I wasn't going to be mean, because he was too nice of a person to make a snappy comment towards.
¡estás or te ves muy linda hoy! (Latin America)(to a man) ¡estás muy guapo hoy!you look very nice in that suit
¡estás or te ves muy buen mozo hoy! (Latin America)ese traje te queda muy bienthe fish is very niceel pescado está muy bueno or ricothe soup smells nicela sopa huele bienthis is a nice mess we're in! [ironic]¡nos hemos metido en una buena! [ironic]Example sentences1.3 (enjoyable) did you have a nice vacation?
¿disfrutaste de las vacaciones?it's nice to have met youme alegro de or [formal] es un placer haberlo conocido
- If estate agents were in charge, there'd be none of this - it'd be something nice, pleasant and attractive.
- The majority of men will always find images of attractive women nice to look at.
- The film is billed as a romance, but the two travellers spend too long exchanging pleasantries and being nice to each other to get any sparks going.
- 2 (as intensifier) I had a nice hot showerme di una buena ducha calienteher apartment is nice and cozy/sunnytiene un apartamento muy or de lo más acogedor/muy or de lo más soleadonice and slowbien despacito
- 3 (respectable, decent) he seemed such a nice boyparecía tan buen chicoit isn't a very nice areaes un barrio bastante feo
- 5 5.1 (fine, subtle)Example sentences
Example sentences5.2 (discriminating) [literary]
- It is not the sort of nonsense that can arise even in the best system of law out of the need to draw nice distinctions between borderline cases.
- In fact, I doubt that the nice distinction which Mr Mostyn sought to draw will be capable of identification in most cases.
- I think you really made a nice point.
- It is a nice point, and it is for that reason that I am anxious to obtain your opinion.
- But she is nice and coy.
- The figure of Justice, you know, is represented with a balance to weigh out to every one his due, with nice and scrupulous exactness.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.