Translation of nick in Spanish:
- 1 (notch — in wood)(— in blade) mella (feminine)did you cut yourself? — it's just a little nick¿te cortaste? — es solo un rasguñoin the nick of timejusto a tiempoExample sentences
- Like the old rifles, the rear sight bears a tiny nick of a sighting notch.
- There are few film defects such as nicks or blemishes to be seen.
- The picture suffers from numerous source defects, including many nicks and scratches, a generally dirty appearance, and discolored film elements.
- 3 (British English) [slang] 3.1 (prison)cárcel (feminine)
chirona (feminine) [colloquial]
cana (feminine) (South America) [slang]
trullo (masculine) (Spain) [slang]
bote (masculine) (Mexico) (Venezuela) [slang]
gayola (feminine) (River Plate area) [slang]
porotera (feminine) (Chile) [slang]Example sentences
Example sentences3.2 (police station)
- Letters Bernie Ebbers shed a tear or two as he was sentenced to 25 years in the nick for his part in the financial disaster that was WorldCom.
- And I'm not sure my friend realised that councils have many other ways of getting their council tax and some of them can have far-reaching effects that go beyond a short spell in the nick.
- We'll go and put a picket round the 'ville while they're in the nick.
- Always in these movies the defendant looks cooked, until a last minute witness shows up at the nick, spurred on by ingenious detective work.
- He ought to be retiring to the nick after all the dodgy warrants he signed for Inspector Fiend.
- I'm Sergeant Peter Lees and this is PC Lee Peters from Westing nick.
- 1 (notch)hacer una muesca enI nicked myself shavingme corté al afeitarmeExample sentences
- Does that mean that Gillette will have to start making blunter razor blades so they will not be culpable if we nick ourselves shaving?
- And that was ok too, because, who didn't, every once in a while, nick themselves shaving?
- The fake bills might even be nicked or slightly torn.
- 2 (steal) to nick something
fromsomebodyafanarle [slang] or (Mexico) (Venezuela) [colloquial] volarle algo aalguienExample sentences
- We first see the hero, Jamie, as a violent 18-year-old Gravesend thug who, having nicked a car, runs off with 15-year-old Lynsey.
- Rather than nicking your car stereo, the thief of 2020 will be after your whole digital persona.
- A top Navy Officer was hauled before a court martial yesterday after a laptop packed with military secrets was nicked from his car.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.