Translation of night in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (period of darkness) the (Tales of the) Thousand and One Nights(los cuentos de) las mil y una nochesat this time of nighta estas horas de la nocheall night (long)toda la nocheat nightpor la nocheit was eleven o'clock at night
de nocheeran las once de la nocheit rained during the nightllovió durante la nocheshe woke up in the middle of the nightse despertó por la noche or durante la nochelong into the nighthasta muy entrada la nochenight after nightnoche tras nochenight and day to be on or do or work nightstrabajar de nochelast night the night before last we stayed (for) the nightnos quedamos a dormirwe spent the night in/at a hotel we looked for a place to spend or stay the nightbuscamos un lugar dónde dormirto spend a sleepless nightpasar una noche en vela or en blancoto have a good/bad nightpasar (una) buena/mala nocheto have a late/an early nightacostarse tarde/temprano(before noun) (flight/patrol)night depository or (British) safe
nocturnocaja (feminine) de depósitos nocturnosthe night skyel cielo nocturnoExample sentences1.2 uncountable (darkness) [literary]he disappeared into the night
desapareció en la oscuridad de la nochenight fellcayó la noche [literary]as black as nightoscuro como una boca de loboExample sentences
- At night the sky had been swept clean of clouds and the stars were blazing in the moonless night.
- She loved starry nights, sunrises and sunsets, the moon, snow… her list could go on and on.
- She loved going in there at night, especially on nights that the moon was full and shining brightly through the glass sun room.
- Into the web we went, deeper and deeper into the night and into the darkness of the maze.
- 2 countable (evening) last nightanocheon the night of the party
ayer por la nochela noche de la fiestaa night on the townuna noche de juergawe haven't had a night out for ageshace muchísimo que no salimos por la nochefirst night (Theatre)noche (feminine) del estrenoit'll be all right on the nightal final todo saldrá biento make a night of it [colloquial]why don't we make a night of it and go dancing?¿por qué no nos vamos a bailar para completarla? [colloquial]Example sentences
- Last night's Eastern Evening News has predicted that I will win North Norfolk.
- Last night at dinner my Mother was talking about her arrangements to go down to Cork on Tuesday.
- On Friday night Chris approached us to do a skit for all the delegates after dinner on the last night.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.