- 1 1.1 (at this time) I feel better nowahora me siento mejorthe suspect is now leaving the buildingahora or en este momento el sospechoso sale del edificiothey've all gone home nowya se han ido todos a casayou can come in nowya puedes entrarit won't be long now before we're there they'll be here any minute nowen cualquier momento lleganestán al caer [colloquial]now is the time to decideeste es el momento de decidirnow's your chanceesta es tu oportunidadExample sentences1.2 (at that time) now was the moment they'd been waiting for
ese era el momento que habían estado esperandoit was now too late to changeya era demasiado tarde para cambiar1.3 (nowadays, in those days) divorce is a lot easier nowhoy en día or ahora es mucho más fácil divorciarsefood is/was now scarceahora escasea/para entonces ya escaseaba la comida1.4 (in phrases) (every) now and then or again for nowpor ahoranow … , now … (showing alternation)
- In my world view, this life we are living right now is all we have, and thus every moment of it should be enjoyed.
- So it seems right now that we are in a moment when the future is still unborn and the past is not quite dead.
- I am not interested in coaching at the moment, and can't say right now if I ever will be.
por el momentode repente … , de repente …ora … , ora … [literary]
- 2 2.1 (at once, immediately) ready? now!¿listos? ¡ya!it's now or never!¡ahora o nunca!Example sentences2.2 (in phrases) just nowhe left just now
acaba de irsehe's talking to a client just nowen este momento está hablando con un clienteright now(immediately) inmediatamente
- Go through this and a wide tarmac lane is now followed straight ahead for the next half a mile or so all the way back to Disley.
- City of York Council must now go directly to the people of York, and ask them which system they want to see.
- Much of the company's effort will now be directed towards trying to retain the franchise.
ahora mismo(at present) ahora mismo
en este momento
- 3 (to follow that) what shall I do now?¿ahora qué hago?and now for a well-earned resty ahora un merecido descanso
- 4 (in the circumstances) I could never trust her nowahora ya no podría tenerle confianzaExample sentences
- Her condition has deteriorated recently, and she now struggles to walk up stairs.
- How long that majority will remain in current circumstances must now be open to doubt.
- I can see their expression and hear their tone of voice now, clear as anything.
- 5 5.1 (showing length of time) we've been living here for 40 years nowya hace 40 años que vivimos aquí
llevamos 40 años viviendo aquíExample sentences5.2 (after prep) he'd have called before now
ya habría llamadoI'd always thought it impossible before nowhasta ahora había pensado que era imposiblethe work should have been completed long before nowya hace tiempo que debería haberse terminado el trabajobetween now and Fridayde aquí al viernesshe should be here by nowya debería estar aquíthe by now furious customer said that …el cliente, que a estas alturas ya estaba furioso, dijo que …starting from now 100 years from nowdentro de 100 añosfrom now on(ward) (up) until or till now, up to now
- It's down for an unprecedented length of time now and it's keeping people away from our centre.
- You've been awake for four seconds now and already your frame of reference has vanished.
- It's been a disgrace for three or four years now and the residents and people who have to use it deserve better.
- 6 6.1 (indicating pause, transition) now, who's next?bueno ¿ahora a quién le toca?now, the reason we've done this is …ahora or bueno, la razón por la cual hemos hecho esto es …6.2 (introducing statement or question) now that's what I call real food!¡eso sí que es comida como Dios manda!now where did I put my book?¿dónde habré puesto el libro?6.3 (emphasizing command, request, warning, advice) now look here!¡espera un momento!now are you coming or not?bueno ¿vienes o no?don't get me wrong, now!no me vayas a malinterpretarnow, you mustn't get upset 6.4 (in phrases) now, now¡vamos, vamos!now thennow then, what's going on here?vamos a ver ¿qué es lo que pasa aquí?now then! be careful how you talk to me¡cuidadito cómo me hablas!¡ojo cómo me hablas! [colloquial]now then, if we're all here, let's start
- now (that)ahora quenow (that) it's stopped raining, we can go outahora que ha parado de llover, podemos salirExample sentences
- Presumably now the formaldehyde has cleared from his brain, he has woken up to the meaning of what he said.
- Lee Ryan is happy that he is free to speak his mind now that he is embarking on a solo career apart from Blue.
- Will he be prompted to give up his criminal activities now that he can afford to live in luxury?
Definition of now in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Cultural Note: National Organization for Women - NOW
Una importante organización en EEUU que lucha por los derechos de la mujer. NOW fue fundada en 1966, por la escritora feminista Betty Friedan. Tiene alrededor de 250.000 miembros.