Translation of occupy in Spanish:
transitive verb -pies, -pying, -pied
- 1 1.1(offices/site/compartment/position)this seat is occupiedeste asiento está ocupadoExample sentences1.2
- Many catering businesses occupy old buildings and ventilation systems are often adapted to fit around the structure.
- Fewer than half the shops were occupied by the same businesses that they had housed 10 years ago.
- Only 30 of the road's 127 houses are occupied and five tenants live in the row likely to be demolished.
- There is a Manning Clark Professor at ANU who, as I understand it, simply occupies Manning's old job.
- All the top jobs were occupied by whites before independence.
- With Merkel now occupying the chancellery, the circle is complete.
- 2(country/town/factory/premises)occupying forcesfuerzas (feminine plural) de ocupaciónExample sentences
- The US military will continue to occupy the country, exercising powers amounting to martial law.
- How can you be a sovereign nation while your country is occupied by the military of another nation?
- In the countries occupied by the Red Army at that time, vicious purges took place against religious leaders of all faiths.
- Workers occupied the factory in protest over the dismissal of 250 of the company's 500-strong workforce.
- As part of their protest, workers occupied the factory roof.
- The workers occupied the factory after a protest stoppage on January 26 in support of a 300 rupees pay increase owing to them since last year.
- 3(space/attention)the meeting occupied the entire dayit doesn't occupy much spacela reunión les ( or nos etc) llevó or ocupó todo el díait's important to keep your mind occupiedno ocupa mucho espacioshe was occupied with her accountses importante mantener la mente ocupadato keep somebody occupiedestaba ocupada con sus cuentasthat should keep them occupied!mantener a alguien ocupadowriting that letter kept me occupied all afternoon¡eso los mantendrá ocupados!to occupy oneselfescribir esa carta me tuvo ocupada toda la tardeI occupied myself by reading a newspaperocupar el tiempoentretenerseocupé el tiempo or me entretuve leyendo un periódicoExample sentences
- Fluid fills the space normally occupied by air in the middle ear.
- The congregation had to negotiate dangerous steep stairs and fill the space not occupied by a spinning wheel and furniture.
- These are hollow casts that partially fill the space once occupied by the original crystals of anhydrite.
- That seems to be the key question occupying the minds of economists at the moment.
- That question was to occupy my mind for some years, before I could finally come up with something.
- These are the kind of pointless questions that occupy the mind when you have nothing better to do.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
ESO (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria) is one of the stages of secondary education established in Spain by the