Translation of occupy in Spanish:
transitive verb -pies, -pying, -pied
- 1 1.1(offices/site/compartment/position)this seat is occupied
ocupareste asiento está ocupadoExample sentences1.2
- Many catering businesses occupy old buildings and ventilation systems are often adapted to fit around the structure.
- Fewer than half the shops were occupied by the same businesses that they had housed 10 years ago.
- Only 30 of the road's 127 houses are occupied and five tenants live in the row likely to be demolished.
- There is a Manning Clark Professor at ANU who, as I understand it, simply occupies Manning's old job.
- All the top jobs were occupied by whites before independence.
- With Merkel now occupying the chancellery, the circle is complete.
- 2(country/town/factory/premises)occupying forces
ocuparfuerzas (feminine plural) de ocupaciónExample sentences
- The US military will continue to occupy the country, exercising powers amounting to martial law.
- How can you be a sovereign nation while your country is occupied by the military of another nation?
- In the countries occupied by the Red Army at that time, vicious purges took place against religious leaders of all faiths.
- Workers occupied the factory in protest over the dismissal of 250 of the company's 500-strong workforce.
- As part of their protest, workers occupied the factory roof.
- The workers occupied the factory after a protest stoppage on January 26 in support of a 300 rupees pay increase owing to them since last year.
- 3(space/attention)the meeting occupied the entire day
ocuparla reunión les ( or nos etc) llevó or ocupó todo el díait doesn't occupy much spaceno ocupa mucho espacioit's important to keep your mind occupiedes importante mantener la mente ocupadashe was occupied with her accountsestaba ocupada con sus cuentasto keep somebody occupiedmantener a alguien ocupadothat should keep them occupied!¡eso los mantendrá ocupados!writing that letter kept me occupied all afternoonescribir esa carta me tuvo ocupada toda la tardeto occupy oneselfocupar el tiempoI occupied myself by reading a newspaper
entretenerseocupé el tiempo or me entretuve leyendo un periódicoExample sentences
- Fluid fills the space normally occupied by air in the middle ear.
- The congregation had to negotiate dangerous steep stairs and fill the space not occupied by a spinning wheel and furniture.
- These are hollow casts that partially fill the space once occupied by the original crystals of anhydrite.
- That seems to be the key question occupying the minds of economists at the moment.
- That question was to occupy my mind for some years, before I could finally come up with something.
- These are the kind of pointless questions that occupy the mind when you have nothing better to do.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.