Translation of of in Spanish:
- 1 (indicating relationship, material, content) the son of Mr and Mrs T Phippsel hijo de los señores Phippsit's made of woodes de maderaa box of chocolates
está hecho de maderauna caja de bombonesa kilo of grapesun kilo de uvasthat piece of Schumann'sesa pieza de Schumanna colleague of mine/his/oursun colega mío/suyo/nuestroit's no business of yours that brother of yoursel loco ( or estúpido or irresponsable etc) de tu hermanoExample sentences
- Police said two of the men charged were using false identities.
- Some of the children had fallen asleep.
- His career as television's pre-eminent art historian started with a series of programmes made for ITV.
- He was about five years older than me but I knew him as he was the son of one of my mum's friends
- Back in the early 1960s, the government of Italy decided to set up an agency to regulate the production of wines.
- On the cover was a photograph of an elderly couple, a man standing behind a lady with his arms wrapped tightly around her.
- 2 (descriptive use) the city of Athensla ciudad de Atenasa girl by the name of Elizabethuna niña llamada Elizabetha boy of tenun niño de diez añosa woman of courage/characteruna mujer valiente/de caráctera matter of great urgencyun asunto de extrema urgenciaa brute of a manuna bestia de hombrehe's a giant of a manes un gigantea little gem of a playuna obra que es una joyitaExample sentences
- It was a packed house, with people of all ages enjoying a brilliant night out.
- Two thirds of the artists were of Jewish backgrounds.
- According to myth, the city of Rome was founded by twin brothers, Romulus and Remus, in 753 BC.
- 3 3.1 (partitive use) there were eight of uséramos ochohe invited the eight of usnos invitó a los ochosix of them survivedseis de ellos sobrevivieronmany of youmuchos de ustedesthe whole of the second floortodo el segundo pisoof all the stupid things to say!¡mira qué cosa de ir a decir!fancy choosing herof all people!¡mira que elegirla a ella!you of all people should have known bettertú deberías haberlo sabido mejor que nadiehe drank of the wine [archaic]bebió del vino3.2 (with superl) the wisest of menel más sabio de los hombresthe best of solutionsla mejor de las solucionesthey're the happiest of couplesson una pareja muy feliz or que no podría ser más felizmost of allmás que nada
- 4, (indicating date, time) the sixth of Octoberel seis de octubreit is ten (minutes) of five (American English)son las cinco menos diezit is a quarter of five (American English)
son diez para las cinco (Latin America except River Plate area)son las cinco menos cuartoof an evening we like to sit in the garden
son un cuarto para las cinco (Latin America except River Plate area)por las noches nos gusta sentarnos en el jardínJane, his wife of six months …Jane, con la que llevaba/lleva casado seis meses …her friend of over 20 yearssu amigo de hace más de 20 añosExample sentences
- I want you home by quarter of five because your grandma's coming for dinner at five.
- I'd love to stay here with you, but it's ten of two.
- We were still eating supper when Gabe knocked on the door at quarter of eight.
- 5 (on the part of) it was very kind of youfue muy amable de su partehow good of him to send me flowers¡qué detalle el suyo mandarme flores!it seems very cruel of them not to invite herme parece una crueldad que no la invitenthe stupidity of the woman!¡hay que ver la estupidez de esta mujer!Example sentences
- He could face up to seven years in prison if found guilty of all charges against him.
- She said she panics when people are behind her and has become suspicious of men.
- Well, it was kind of him to let you stay here.
- 6 (inherent in) the senselessness of it all, that's what depresses mees lo absurdo de todo el asunto lo que me deprimethe worry of it nearly drove her madcasi se vuelve loca de la preocupaciónthe cheek of it!¡qué descaro!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.