Translation of oil in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (petroleum) to strike oil [colloquial]dar con una mina de oro or con la gallina de los huevos de oro [colloquial](lit: reach oil)the oil industryencontrar petróleooil pollutionla industria petroleracontaminación (feminine) petrolífera or de petróleoExample sentences1.2 (lubricant) to change/check the oil
to pour oil on troubled waterscambiar/revisar el (nivel del) aceite(before noun) oil changetratar de apaciguar los ánimosoil filtercambio (masculine) de aceiteoil levelfiltro (masculine) del aceiteoil pressurenivel (masculine) del aceitepresión (masculine) del aceiteExample sentences1.3
- If the railroad supervisor was negligent in overseeing the independent contractor who accidentally spilled oil into a river, whatever harm resulted should have been addressed in a civil proceeding.
- On the way home, their plane flies above a ship spilling oil into the sea.
- It is unusual to drill an oil well without a paleontologist onsite to determine when the desired oil-bearing rock layer has been reached.
also: fuel oil1.4(for domestic heating)1.5 (for domestic lamps, stoves) to burn the midnight oilgasóleo (masculine) or gasoil (masculine) de calefacciónfuel(-oil) (masculine) doméstico
- In general, expect to change your mower's engine oil twice each year.
- Transportation via internal combustion engines that use gas and oil is responsible for more than 17 percent of the greenhouse gas emissions on the planet.
- To check the oil, you remove the dipstick, wipe off the oil, and reinsert the dipstick as far as it will go.
- 2 uncountable and countable 2.1 (Cookery) (before noun) oil and vinegar dressing 2.2 (essence)Example sentences
- The last group includes energy food, including animal and plant oil, starch and wine.
- Three bottles of high quality essential oils infused into pure, skin-softening organic apricot kernel oil.
- Biodiesel is an alternative fuel that can be made out of anything from organic canola oil to used cooking grease from fast-food restaurants.
- 3 3.1 countable (painting) a collection of oils3.2una colección de óleosalso: oils plural(paints) See examples: he paints in oilsa portrait in oilspinta al óleosee also → oil paintingun retrato al óleoExample sentences
- These oils on canvas rework that fulcrum of modernist painting, the grid.
- This remarkably representative exhibits of 42 oils and gouaches from that later period suggest why.
- The company deals in originals, oils, acrylics, watercolors and serigraphs.
- 1.1(wood/bat)1.2darle aceite aalso: oiled past participle[slang] (drunk)Example sentences
- Place the balls onto a lightly oiled baking tray and bake them for about 20 minutes, so they are slightly browned.
- Lightly oil a 12-hole muffin tray then line each mould with a bacon rasher.
- After coupling to the coach, No. 823 was coaled manually and then had to reverse down the shed road to be oiled and greased for the return journey.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.