Translation of oil in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (petroleum) to strike oil [colloquial]dar con una mina de oro or con la gallina de los huevos de oro [colloquial](lit: reach oil) encontrar petróleothe oil industryla industria petroleraoil pollutioncontaminación (feminine) petrolífera or de petróleoExample sentences1.2 (lubricant) to change/check the oil
cambiar/revisar el (nivel del) aceiteto pour oil on troubled waterstratar de apaciguar los ánimos(before noun) oil changecambio (masculine) de aceiteoil filterfiltro (masculine) del aceiteoil levelnivel (masculine) del aceiteoil pressurepresión (masculine) del aceiteExample sentences1.3
- On August 5 a boat collided with the oil tanker causing more than 85 tons of oil to spill into the river and coastal wetlands.
- House wants to stick us with the tab for prolonging our destructive dependence on fossil fuels, foreign oil and dangerous nuclear technology.
- In 1912, a small economic boom was fueled by drilling for oil, but it was short-lived.
also: fuel oil1.4 (for domestic heating)gasóleo (masculine) de calefacción1.5 (for domestic lamps, stoves) to burn the midnight oil
- That competition is helping the world move away from carbon-rich fuels, like oil and coal.
- Ireland's heavy reliance on fossil fuels such as oil and coal is not sustainable for the future, he said.
- At the moment islanders have to rely on a mixture of oil, solid fuel and small hydro schemes which are unreliable and expensive.
gasoil (masculine) de calefacción
fuel(-oil) (masculine) doméstico
- 2 uncountable or countable 2.1 (Cookery) (before noun) oil and vinegar dressingExample sentences2.2 (essence)
- The last group includes energy food, including animal and plant oil, starch and wine.
- Three bottles of high quality essential oils infused into pure, skin-softening organic apricot kernel oil.
- Biodiesel is an alternative fuel that can be made out of anything from organic canola oil to used cooking grease from fast-food restaurants.
- 3 3.1 countable (painting) a collection of oilsuna colección de óleosExample sentences3.2
also: oils plural(paints) he paints in oilspinta al óleoa portrait in oilsun retrato al óleosee also→ oil painting
- These oils on canvas rework that fulcrum of modernist painting, the grid.
- This remarkably representative exhibits of 42 oils and gouaches from that later period suggest why.
- The company deals in originals, oils, acrylics, watercolors and serigraphs.
darle aceite aExample sentences
- Place the balls onto a lightly oiled baking tray and bake them for about 20 minutes, so they are slightly browned.
- Lightly oil a 12-hole muffin tray then line each mould with a bacon rasher.
- After coupling to the coach, No. 823 was coaled manually and then had to reverse down the shed road to be oiled and greased for the return journey.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.