- 1 uncountable/no numerable 1.1 (petroleum) petróleo (masculine) to strike oil [colloquial/familiar] dar* con una mina de oro or con la gallina de los huevos de oro [colloquial/familiar] (lit: reach oil) encontrar* petróleo the oil industry la industria petrolera oil pollution contaminación (feminine) petrolífera or de petróleoMore example sentences1.2 (lubricant) aceite (masculine) to change/check the oil cambiar/revisar el (nivel del) aceite to pour oil on troubled waters tratar de apaciguar los ánimos (before noun/delante del nombre) oil change cambio (masculine) de aceite oil filter filtro (masculine) del aceite oil level nivel (masculine) del aceite oil pressure presión (masculine) del aceite
More example sentences1.3
- If the railroad supervisor was negligent in overseeing the independent contractor who accidentally spilled oil into a river, whatever harm resulted should have been addressed in a civil proceeding.
- On the way home, their plane flies above a ship spilling oil into the sea.
- It is unusual to drill an oil well without a paleontologist onsite to determine when the desired oil-bearing rock layer has been reached.
(fuel oil)fuel-oil (masculine), gasoil (masculine) 1.4 (for domestic heating) gasóleo (masculine) or gasoil (masculine) de calefacción, fuel(-oil) (masculine) doméstico 1.5 (for domestic lamps, stoves) queroseno (masculine), kerosene (masculine), parafina (feminine) (Latin America/América Latina) to burn the midnight oil quemarse las cejas
- One of the most significant is carbon dioxide, a by-product of burning fossil fuels such as oil, petrol and coal.
- The Defenders will also be running on a mix of more combustible aviation fuel and oil to help lubricate the engine.
- The ban on smokey coal is proving beneficial, but the country is largely dependant on fuels such as oil and coal which increase greenhouse gases.
- 2 u and c 2.1 [Cookery/Cocina] aceite (masculine) (before noun/delante del nombre) oil and vinegar dressing vinagreta (feminine) 2.2 (essence) esencia (feminine)More example sentences
- The last group includes energy food, including animal and plant oil, starch and wine.
- Three bottles of high quality essential oils infused into pure, skin-softening organic apricot kernel oil.
- Biodiesel is an alternative fuel that can be made out of anything from organic canola oil to used cooking grease from fast-food restaurants.
- 3 3.1 countable/numerable (painting) óleo (masculine) a collection of oils una colección de óleos 3.2(oils plural)(paints) he paints in oils pinta al óleo a portrait in oils un retrato al óleo see also oil paintingMore example sentences
- These oils on canvas rework that fulcrum of modernist painting, the grid.
- This remarkably representative exhibits of 42 oils and gouaches from that later period suggest why.
- The company deals in originals, oils, acrylics, watercolors and serigraphs.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Did you know that the primary meaning of almuerzo is lunch? It is used only in this sense in most of Latin America. In Spain and Mexico, where comida is the usual word for lunch, almuerzo can also be a mid-morning snack.