Translation of old in Spanish:
- 1 (of certain age) how old are you?¿cuántos años tienes?he's 10 years old
¿qué edad tienes?tiene 10 añosshe's two years older than meme lleva dos añosmy older brother
es dos años mayor que yomi hermano mayorour oldest sonnuestro hijo mayorwhen the children are oldercuando los niños sean mayores or más grandesday-/week-old chickspollitos (masculine plural) de un día/de una semanaa month-old puppyun cachorro de un mesthe house is centuries oldla casa tiene siglosmy two-year-old daughtermi hija de dos añosa group of fifteen-year-/six-year-oldsun grupo de quinceañeros/de niños de seis añosshe's not old enough to go to schoolno tiene edad de ir a la escuelayou're old enough to know better!¡a tu edad …!he's old enough to be her fatherpodría ser su padreyou're as old as you feello importante es tener el espíritu joven
- 2 (not young)(less polite) viejothe bar's always full of old menel bar siempre está lleno de viejosher experiences had made her old beyond her yearssus experiencias la habían hecho madurar muy rápidamenteold people feel the cold morelos ancianos or las personas mayores or de edad sienten más el fríoto get o grow old/older doesn't she look old!¡qué vieja or avejentada está!when I'm oldcuando sea viejaExample sentences
- The majority of those left behind are too young, old or sick to travel far.
- The setting for the film is a beautiful temple on a secluded lake where an old monk and his young charge live.
- Now we want all residents, young and old, to select a project in their neighbourhood and make a local improvement.
- 3 3.1 (not new)(clothes/car/remedy)
viejo(city/civilization)a fine old wine
antiguoun buen vino añejoa beautiful old tableuna mesa antigua preciosait's a very old familyes una familia de abolengothe old part of the cityel casco viejo or antiguo de la ciudadwe like to keep to the old waysnos gusta hacer las cosas a la antigua usanzathe old countryla madre patriaExample sentences
Example sentences3.2 (longstanding, familiar) (before noun)
- It's built out of an old palace which has some of the most beautiful Buddhist art I've ever seen.
- The new gravel road has been built parallel to the old tarmac Gun Park Road
- Hidden in a narrow alley of the old quarter of Nice, one discovered it by chance or word-of-mouth.
- How many times do we need to see the same old arguments made and the same sources quoted?
- These aren't the same old depressing allegations, no, this time the allegations are red hot!
- You can resolve the same old problem with a new approach and make a breakthrough.
viejo(injury/problem)it's the old, old story 3.3 (experienced, veteran) (before noun)
- 4 (former, previous) (before noun)(job/classmate)my old school
antiguomi antiguo colegioExample sentences
- I got to know a little bit about it, at least the old Berlin of the past, through Benjamin's eyes.
- One of its campaigns is an attack on asylum seekers, which recycles a old leaflet used in past BNP campaigns.
- Today's feelings were sparked by me walking past my old primary school yesterday for the first time in ages.
- 6 [colloquial] (before noun) 6.1 (as intensifier) just wear any old thingponte cualquier cosacome and see me any old timeven a verme cuando quierasshe dresses just any old way o ( (British English) also) any old howse viste de cualquier manerawe had a pretty dull old timenos aburrimos mortalmente [colloquial]this book is a load of old rubbisheste libro es una porquería [colloquial]6.2 (in familiar references) old Bob here will show you where to goel bueno de Bob te dirá dónde tienes que irgood old John!¡este John …!hello, old thing (British English) lucky old you! don't forget little old me!¡no te olvides del pobrecito de mí!she's not a bad old soulno es mala gente [colloquial]Example sentences
- I really fancy my guests having a right good old toast to my memory.
- Get rid of the new-labour new-tory dictatorships and let's have good old democracy back again!
- So, for this event, I cooked from just regular vegetables and good old ingredients.
- 1 (old people) (+ plural verb) the oldlos ancianos
las personas mayores or de edad(less polite) los viejosa singer who is popular with young and oldun cantante que gusta a chicos y grandes
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.