Translation of old maid in Spanish:
- 1.1 countable/numerable (spinster) [colloquial/familiar] solterona (feminine) [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 countable/numerable (fussy person) [colloquial/familiar] maniático, (masculine, feminine) 1.3 uncountable/no numerable (no article/sin artículo) [Games/Juegos] to play old maid ≈ jugar* a la mona or al burro or al culo sucio
- Do you wish for you and your sister to grow into single old maids?
- As illegal divers working for the Asian export market continue to thin abalone populations, the survivors are dying off as old maids and bachelors.
- The daughter was heartbroken, never married and died an old maid.
- The epitome of a fussy old maid, Mrs. B. operated with a few less sandwiches than it takes to make a picnic.
- The school is also encouraging parents to introduce their children to cards games such as old maid, snap and bridge.
- As in old maid, you do not know what card you are going to take, and the player you are taking the card from does not know which one you will take.
- Steph has a poker face as good as my 4 year old daughter playing old maid.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Defensor del pueblo is an ombudsman nominated by the Spanish Parliament to defend the rights of citizens against government maladministration. If he upholds a complaint he advises the administration on appropriate compensation. This post, under the same name, also exists in some Latin American countries.