Translation of opposition in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable (antagonism, resistance) the plan encountered no oppositionoppositionel plan no encontró opositores
tosomething/somebodyoposición aalgo/alguienExample sentences
- For some, it appeared to breed a resistance or opposition to program authorities, which they later regretted.
- Your argument to justify your opposition to the peace talks is puerile.
- Your argument seems to conflate opposition to the war with opposition to a ‘unilateral’ war.
- 2 (+ singular or plural verb) 2.1 (rivals, competitors) (Business)(Sport)we need to find out what the opposition is o are up to (Business)adversarios (masculine plural)2.2 (Politics)the opposition is o are divided on this issuetenemos que averiguar qué está haciendo la competenciato be in oppositionla oposición está dividida al respectoestar en la oposición(before noun) (spokesperson/benches)de la oposiciónExample sentences
- The Opposition had sent the Bill back to the Commons four times in an unprecedentedly bitter conflict.
- The Opposition is demanding that the government stop spinning the issue and clarify its position.
- The Opposition must then have policies which, in the eyes of the electorate, are relevant to the day.
- In any event, it is not the coach's business to let the opposition know beforehand the team's weaknesses in any area.
- It was supported by the government, opposition, big businesses and trade unions.
- Such a development inevitably comes up against the restraints of the profit system and meets with the opposition of big business.
- 3 countable (contrast)Example sentences
- Likewise Tomu came to think of a film's plot in terms of a series of oppositions or conflicts.
- These two oppositions generate four basic strands of modern thought.
- Our western predilection of talking in terms of binary oppositions finds an array of contrasts to play with in Wuthering Heights.
- 4 uncountable and countable (Astronomy)Example sentences
- An eclipse occurs only if the Moon crosses the ecliptic when very close to either conjunction or opposition, respectively producing solar and lunar eclipses.
- The other half of the Grand Cross is the opposition of Mars in Scorpio and Saturn in Taurus.
- At opposition, a planet also comes closest to earth and shines at its brightest for the year.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In some parts of Spain, the name given to a weekly open-air flea market where all kinds of items are sold is a rastro. The name El Rastro as such refers to a very big market of this type held in Madrid at weekends.