- 1 uncountable/no numerable (antagonism, resistance) oposición (feminine) the plan encountered no opposition nadie se opuso al plan, el plan no encontró opositores opposition
tosth/sb oposición aalgo/algnMore example sentences
- For some, it appeared to breed a resistance or opposition to program authorities, which they later regretted.
- Your argument to justify your opposition to the peace talks is puerile.
- Your argument seems to conflate opposition to the war with opposition to a ‘unilateral’ war.
- 2 (+ singular or plural verb/+ verbo en singular o plural) 2.1 (rivals, competitors) [Business/Comercio] competencia (feminine); [Sport/Deporte] adversarios (masculine plural) we need to find out what the opposition is o are up to [Business/Comercio] tenemos que averiguar qué está haciendo la competencia 2.2 [Politics/Política] the opposition is o are divided on this issue la oposición está dividida al respecto to be in opposition estar* en la oposición (before noun/delante del nombre) [spokesperson/benches] de la oposiciónMore example sentences
More example sentences
- The Opposition had sent the Bill back to the Commons four times in an unprecedentedly bitter conflict.
- The Opposition is demanding that the government stop spinning the issue and clarify its position.
- The Opposition must then have policies which, in the eyes of the electorate, are relevant to the day.
- In any event, it is not the coach's business to let the opposition know beforehand the team's weaknesses in any area.
- It was supported by the government, opposition, big businesses and trade unions.
- Such a development inevitably comes up against the restraints of the profit system and meets with the opposition of big business.
- 3 countable/numerable (contrast) contraposición (feminine)More example sentences
- Likewise Tomu came to think of a film's plot in terms of a series of oppositions or conflicts.
- These two oppositions generate four basic strands of modern thought.
- Our western predilection of talking in terms of binary oppositions finds an array of contrasts to play with in Wuthering Heights.
- 4 uncountable or countable/no numerable o numerable [Astronomy/Astronomía] oposición (feminine)More example sentences
- An eclipse occurs only if the Moon crosses the ecliptic when very close to either conjunction or opposition, respectively producing solar and lunar eclipses.
- The other half of the Grand Cross is the opposition of Mars in Scorpio and Saturn in Taurus.
- At opposition, a planet also comes closest to earth and shines at its brightest for the year.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mossos d'Esquadra is the name of the police force of the Catalan autonomous region. It has a wide range of responsibilities but the Guardia Civil and Policía Nacional also operate in Catalonia.