- 1 uncountable/no numerable (antagonism, resistance) oposición (feminine) the plan encountered no opposition nadie se opuso al plan, el plan no encontró opositores opposition
tosth/sb oposición aalgo/algnMore example sentences
- For some, it appeared to breed a resistance or opposition to program authorities, which they later regretted.
- Your argument to justify your opposition to the peace talks is puerile.
- Your argument seems to conflate opposition to the war with opposition to a ‘unilateral’ war.
- 2 (+ singular or plural verb/+ verbo en singular o plural) 2.1 (rivals, competitors) [Business/Comercio] competencia (feminine); [Sport/Deporte] adversarios (masculine plural) we need to find out what the opposition is o are up to [Business/Comercio] tenemos que averiguar qué está haciendo la competencia 2.2 [Politics/Política] the opposition is o are divided on this issue la oposición está dividida al respecto to be in opposition estar* en la oposición (before noun/delante del nombre) [spokesperson/benches] de la oposiciónMore example sentences
More example sentences
- The Opposition had sent the Bill back to the Commons four times in an unprecedentedly bitter conflict.
- The Opposition is demanding that the government stop spinning the issue and clarify its position.
- The Opposition must then have policies which, in the eyes of the electorate, are relevant to the day.
- In any event, it is not the coach's business to let the opposition know beforehand the team's weaknesses in any area.
- It was supported by the government, opposition, big businesses and trade unions.
- Such a development inevitably comes up against the restraints of the profit system and meets with the opposition of big business.
- 3 countable/numerable (contrast) contraposición (feminine)More example sentences
- Likewise Tomu came to think of a film's plot in terms of a series of oppositions or conflicts.
- These two oppositions generate four basic strands of modern thought.
- Our western predilection of talking in terms of binary oppositions finds an array of contrasts to play with in Wuthering Heights.
- 4 u and c [Astronomy/Astronomía] oposición (feminine)More example sentences
- An eclipse occurs only if the Moon crosses the ecliptic when very close to either conjunction or opposition, respectively producing solar and lunar eclipses.
- The other half of the Grand Cross is the opposition of Mars in Scorpio and Saturn in Taurus.
- At opposition, a planet also comes closest to earth and shines at its brightest for the year.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a ración is a serving of food eaten in a bar or cafe, generally with a drink. Friends or relatives meet in a bar or cafe, order a number of raciones, and share them.