Translation of orphan in Spanish:
- huérfano, (-na) (masculine, feminine)to make/leave somebody an orphandejar huérfano a alguienhe was left an orphanquedó huérfano(before noun) orphan child(niño) huérfano, ((niña) huérfana) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- She grew up an orphan, her parents having been killed in a battle which overtook their hometown.
- The Earl had suggested that David pretend to be an orphan whose parents had been American gentility.
- This three-month old baby escaped with a fractured wrist, but is now an orphan as both parents were killed.
- (usually passive) she was orphaned at the age of twoquedó huérfana a los dos añoshundreds of children were orphaned by the accidentel accidente dejó huérfanos a cientos de niñosExample sentences
- By the time he was a young teenager, he and his brother were orphaned, alone and destitute.
- The boy who is an orphan was orphaned when his parents died in short succession in 1992.
- He was orphaned at the age of nine, and got a job as a cabin boy, and through sheer hard graft, worked his way up the ranks.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.