Translation of outright in Spanish:
adjective/adjetivo(before noun/delante del nombre)
- 1.1 (complete, total) [refusal/opposition] rotundo, total, categórico; [hostility] declarado, abierto; [contempt] total, absoluto; [majority] claro; [winner] indiscutido; [lie] descarado he told an outright lie mintió descaradamenteExample sentences
- These ranged from open derision to outright firings, and even attempts to rescind earned degrees.
- An outright refusal would, of course, have ignited claims of prejudice and condemnation by the the liberal press, ever on the lookout for a stick to beat established institutions.
- But outright refusal often gets people labelled as freaks or loonies, and correspondingly discredits the challenges they deliver in the eyes of those they address them to.
Example sentences1.2 [ownership] absoluto
- Between outright war and total appeasement there are various degrees of pressure that can be applied.
- I, and many others, must say that enough is enough, and nothing short of a total outright ban would be acceptable
- These views can be hard to tell apart: the distinction between radical transformation and outright abolition is not clear-cut.
- It is a sign of the times for the struggling County Champions that their sole ambition over four days against Somerset was to emerge with a draw rather than a defeat but nothing short of outright victory was what was really required.
- But even though he said the Tories had their best chance for 24 years to regain control, he stopped short of forecasting outright victory for his party.
- But the USA took outright victory because of a higher number of second places, 14-6.
- 1.1 (completely) [refuse/reject] rotundamente, categóricamente, terminantemente; [ban] totalmente; [win] indiscutiblemente 1.2 (directly, frankly) [ask/say] abiertamente, directamente 1.3 (in ownership) she owns the house outright la casa es suya ([ sin gravámenes ]) they offered to buy the play outright le propusieron comprarle todos los derechos de la obra 1.4 (instantly) [kill] en el acto
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Distrito Federal is a district of central Mexico, the seat of the federal government. It includes most of Mexico City and its suburbs, and comes under the direct supervision of the Mexican president.