Translation of overcome in Spanish:
- 1.1Example sentences1.2 (overwhelm)
a strange feeling overcame herapoderarse deto be overcomeuna extraña sensación la invadió or se apoderó de ella
- No little effort was required to overcome stubborn opponents who showed why they have been rejuvenated of late.
- Corretja, seeded eighth, has yet to drop a set at one of his favourite tournaments but had to wait for six hours before finally overcoming his opponent.
- Tai Chi uses the power of relaxation, rather than force, to overcome an opponent.
bysomethinghe was overcome by sleep/fatigueshe was overcome by laughterlo venció el sueño/la fatigathey were overcome by emotionno pudo contener la risato be overcomelos embargó la emoción withsomething(with guilt/remorse)you've all been so kind to me: I'm quite overcomesentirse abrumado poralgotodos han sido tan buenos conmigo, realmente no sé qué decirExample sentences1.3 (prevail over)
(inhibitions)she overcame the temptationno sucumbió a la tentación
- It is perfectly acceptable for a real man to cry when he is overcome with emotion.
- She was overcome with emotions as she gazed at the purest sunset she had ever laid eyes on.
- She was overcome with the feeling that she had to do something and she wasn't doing it.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In some parts of Spain, the name given to a weekly open-air flea market where all kinds of items are sold is a rastro. The name El Rastro as such refers to a very big market of this type held in Madrid at weekends.