Translation of overflow in Spanish:
intransitive verbAmerican English: /ˌoʊvərˈfloʊ/ British English: /əʊvəˈfləʊ/
- 1.1(liquid)derramarsedesbordarse(bucket/bath/river)the party had overflowed into the gardendesbordarseoverflowing ashtraysla fiesta se había extendido al jardínto fill something to overflowingceniceros rebosantes de colillasllenar algo hasta el bordeExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (be more than full of)to overflow
- After the river water overflowed the banks, it proceeded northward.
- If a heavy rain fills the reservoir, the water overflows into a perforated pipe that zigzags under the garden.
- Suddenly realizing that the water was overflowing, she poured out a bit and wiped off the edges of the mug with a cloth.
- My shelves are full, my bookcase is full, my drawers are overflowing, I have a zillion boxes of stuff and yet more stuff all over the floor.
- Not only was my Green Box overflowing, but next to it were two black sacks full of paper.
- Common failings included forgotten scraps of food in refrigerators, fridges not being at the required temperature and waste bins overflowing.
withsomethingthe house is overflowing with junkshe was overflowing with happinessla casa está hasta el techo de cachivaches
transitive verbAmerican English: /ˌoʊvərˈfloʊ/ British English: /əʊvəˈfləʊ/
nounAmerican English: /ˈoʊvərˌfloʊ/ British English: /ˈəʊvəfləʊ/
- 1.1 uncountable and countable (excess) See examples: we put a bowl there to catch the overflowthe overflow from the church stood outsidepusimos un bol para recoger el líquido que se derramaba or que salía(before noun) overflow meetinglos que no cabían en la iglesia se quedaron fuera(reunión organizada para dar cabida al excedente de asistentes a la reunión principal)1.2 countable (outlet)(before noun) overflow piperebosadero (masculine)tubo (masculine) de desagüeExample sentences1.3 (Computing)
- When we checked with the building department, the local inspector told us that the water heater is correctly installed and that the overflow pipe complies with the intent of the building code.
- Position the valve so that the overflow pipe is next to the ballcock.
- Owing to these considerations, I am still persuaded that exterior termination of the overflow pipe is the more practical solution.
- This may result in unexpected application behavior, accessing a defunct application, incomplete database records or buffer overflow.
- A properly exploited buffer overflow could allow a hacker to gain root, or superuser, access to a Sendmail server.
- For example, a single application may require a host server along with dedicated servers for testing, quality control, overflow, mirroring, and so on.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.