Translation of overflow in Spanish:
intransitive verbAmerican English: /ˌoʊvərˈfloʊ/ British English: /əʊvəˈfləʊ/
desbordarse(bucket/bath/river)the party had overflowed into the garden
desbordarsela fiesta se había extendido al jardínoverflowing ashtraysceniceros rebosantes de colillasto fill something to overflowingllenar algo hasta el bordeExample sentences
- After the river water overflowed the banks, it proceeded northward.
- If a heavy rain fills the reservoir, the water overflows into a perforated pipe that zigzags under the garden.
- Suddenly realizing that the water was overflowing, she poured out a bit and wiped off the edges of the mug with a cloth.
- My shelves are full, my bookcase is full, my drawers are overflowing, I have a zillion boxes of stuff and yet more stuff all over the floor.
- Not only was my Green Box overflowing, but next to it were two black sacks full of paper.
- Common failings included forgotten scraps of food in refrigerators, fridges not being at the required temperature and waste bins overflowing.
transitive verbAmerican English: /ˌoʊvərˈfloʊ/ British English: /əʊvəˈfləʊ/
nounAmerican English: /ˈoʊvərˌfloʊ/ British English: /ˈəʊvəfləʊ/
- 1 uncountable and countable (excess) we put a bowl there to catch the overflowpusimos un bol para recoger el líquido que se derramaba or que salíathe overflow from the church stood outsidelos que no cabían en la iglesia se quedaron fuera(before noun) overflow meeting(reunión organizada para dar cabida al excedente de asistentes a la reunión principal)
- 2 countable (outlet)rebosadero (masculine)(before noun) overflow pipetubo (masculine) de desagüeExample sentences
- When we checked with the building department, the local inspector told us that the water heater is correctly installed and that the overflow pipe complies with the intent of the building code.
- Position the valve so that the overflow pipe is next to the ballcock.
- Owing to these considerations, I am still persuaded that exterior termination of the overflow pipe is the more practical solution.
- 3 (Computing)Example sentences
- This may result in unexpected application behavior, accessing a defunct application, incomplete database records or buffer overflow.
- A properly exploited buffer overflow could allow a hacker to gain root, or superuser, access to a Sendmail server.
- For example, a single application may require a host server along with dedicated servers for testing, quality control, overflow, mirroring, and so on.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.