Translation of overhaul in Spanish:
transitive verbAmerican English: /ˌoʊvərˈhɔl/ British English: /əʊvəˈhɔːl/
- 1 (examine and repair)(machinery/car/system)
poner a puntoExample sentences
- As a result we have been maintaining and overhauling these engines for 25 years.
- Around 250 jobs in the division, which maintains, repairs and overhauls gas turbines, are being cut as part of a rationalisation plan.
- Alex and his son have completely and utterly overhauled this machine over a period of two and a half years in what was painstaking work.
- Its arrival has not yielded a new Constitution, rationalised the party system, modernised justice or overhauled the bureaucracy in any of the ways its advocates hoped it would.
- They are going to have to overhaul the welfare system.
- He has more to do to overhaul the welfare system and public services in this country.
- 2 (overtake)superar
adelantarse aExample sentences
- Needing to finish four places ahead of Paul Foerster and Kevin Burnham, the British pair were unable to overhaul their American rivals.
- With our young players we would have a great base to build on and could overhaul our rivals.
- He overhauled team-mate Andy Burt, but always had too much to do to catch Hilton.
nounAmerican English: /ˈoʊvərˌhɔl/ British English: /ˈəʊvəhɔːl/
- (of machinery, system)Example sentences
- They can only be honestly confronted by a thorough overhaul of the system the minister will be asked to control.
- If Indonesia wants to have an internationally competitive workforce, a major overhaul of its educational system is only the first step in a long process that lies ahead.
- A new report charges that Ontario's food safety system needs a major overhaul.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.