Translation of overtake in Spanish:
- 1.1 (go past) he overtook the truckadelantó or pasó or (Mexico) rebasó al camiónExample sentences1.2 (surpass)
- It is thought a dark-coloured Vauxhall Corsa, travelling south, overtook a line of traffic headed by a container lorry.
- The Focus had stopped when a vehicle, travelling in the opposite direction, overtook another vehicle, which had stopped so the driver could remove an obstruction from the road.
- He told the inquiry he was aware there was a vehicle, a Transit van, behind him which overtook the bus, passing by closely.
tomarle la delantera aExample sentences1.3 (come upon unexpectedly) dusk overtook us when we were only halfway there
se nos hizo de noche cuando apenas estábamos a mitad de caminoevents have overtaken uslos acontecimientos se nos han adelantado
- Last year, asparagus overtook coffee as Peru's top export crop and accounted for roughly a quarter of the country's farm exports.
- Coffee has overtaken tea as the most popular drink outside the home.
- While chipping at the landing is still the principal means of comminution, bundling is growing rapidly and could easily overtake roadside chipping within a few years.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.