Translation of overtake in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (go past) [horse/runner] adelantar, pasar, rebasar (Mexico/México) he overtook the truck adelantó or pasó or (Mexico/México) rebasó al camiónExample sentences1.2 (surpass) superar, tomarle la delantera a
Example sentences1.3 (come upon unexpectedly) dusk overtook us when we were only halfway there se nos hizo de noche cuando apenas estábamos a mitad de camino events have overtaken us los acontecimientos se nos han adelantado
- It is thought a dark-coloured Vauxhall Corsa, travelling south, overtook a line of traffic headed by a container lorry.
- The Focus had stopped when a vehicle, travelling in the opposite direction, overtook another vehicle, which had stopped so the driver could remove an obstruction from the road.
- He told the inquiry he was aware there was a vehicle, a Transit van, behind him which overtook the bus, passing by closely.
- Last year, asparagus overtook coffee as Peru's top export crop and accounted for roughly a quarter of the country's farm exports.
- Coffee has overtaken tea as the most popular drink outside the home.
- While chipping at the landing is still the principal means of comminution, bundling is growing rapidly and could easily overtake roadside chipping within a few years.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the