- 1.1 (go past) [horse/runner] adelantar, pasar, rebasar (Méx) he overtook the truck adelantó or pasó or (Méx) rebasó al camiónMore example sentences1.2 (surpass) superar, tomarle la delantera a
More example sentences1.3 (come upon unexpectedly) dusk overtook us when we were only halfway there se nos hizo de noche cuando apenas estábamos a mitad de camino events have overtaken us los acontecimientos se nos han adelantado
- It is thought a dark-coloured Vauxhall Corsa, travelling south, overtook a line of traffic headed by a container lorry.
- The Focus had stopped when a vehicle, travelling in the opposite direction, overtook another vehicle, which had stopped so the driver could remove an obstruction from the road.
- He told the inquiry he was aware there was a vehicle, a Transit van, behind him which overtook the bus, passing by closely.
- Last year, asparagus overtook coffee as Peru's top export crop and accounted for roughly a quarter of the country's farm exports.
- Coffee has overtaken tea as the most popular drink outside the home.
- While chipping at the landing is still the principal means of comminution, bundling is growing rapidly and could easily overtake roadside chipping within a few years.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Churro is a typical Spanish food, consisting of a long thin cylinder of dough, deep-fried in olive oil and often dusted with sugar. Churros are usually eaten with a thick hot drinking chocolate, especially for breakfast.