- 1 [Mus] obertura (f)More example sentences
More example sentences
- The adaptation of music for a medium different from that for which it was originally composed, for example the recasting of a song as a piano piece, or of an orchestral overture as an organ piece.
- He spent more time with the orchestra, with the overture in the beginning of the show than the whole block of the show.
- The playing of the woodwind section at the beginning of the overture was well balanced and finely tuned, revealing the experience and ability of the players.
- Like Wagner's overture, this movement is a Romantic ode to Classical counterpoint, and one at times seems to hear actual Wagner themes peeking out from behind the curtain.
- Tchaikovsky composed his most famous overture to commemorate the 70th anniversary of Russia's victory over Napoleon's French army in 1812.
- A familiar Rossini overture (The Silken Ladder) presented that composer's usual challenges, which were tackled with precision.
- 2(overtures pl)(approaches) [formal] (sometimes sing) intento (m) or tentativa (f) de acercamiento; (sexual) insinuación (f) she rejected his overtures rechazó sus insinuaciones to make overtures to sb he made overtures to several European leaders intentó acercamientos con varios líderes europeos they did not respond to overtures from the union no respondieron a las tentativas conciliatorias del sindicatoMore example sentences
More example sentences
- Those complex overtures done with, I followed up all gung-ho with an enquiry as to when the piece was required.
- Its overture is taken up with the analogy between the king of the nation and the father of the nuclear family that is beginning to supersede the extended family of earlier centuries.
- As in all those movies, the demonstration is an overture to how that newly introduced power will explode narrative, characters, bodies.
- Meanwhile, another ‘sport’ is making overtures to join the Olympics.
- The president is making overtures to Mexican immigrants and planning a manned mission to Mars.
- Her young daughter is soon making overtures to the man, who wants to rob the women blind.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Onda Cero is a radio network broadcasting on AM and FM. It is owned by Telefónica, Spain's most important telecommunications group.