Translation of overture in Spanish:
- 1 [Music/Música] obertura (feminine)Example sentences
- The adaptation of music for a medium different from that for which it was originally composed, for example the recasting of a song as a piano piece, or of an orchestral overture as an organ piece.
- He spent more time with the orchestra, with the overture in the beginning of the show than the whole block of the show.
- The playing of the woodwind section at the beginning of the overture was well balanced and finely tuned, revealing the experience and ability of the players.
- Like Wagner's overture, this movement is a Romantic ode to Classical counterpoint, and one at times seems to hear actual Wagner themes peeking out from behind the curtain.
- Tchaikovsky composed his most famous overture to commemorate the 70th anniversary of Russia's victory over Napoleon's French army in 1812.
- A familiar Rossini overture (The Silken Ladder) presented that composer's usual challenges, which were tackled with precision.
- 2(overtures plural)(approaches) [formal] (sometimes singular/a veces en singular) intento (masculine) or tentativa (feminine) de acercamiento; (sexual) insinuación (feminine) she rejected his overtures rechazó sus insinuaciones to make overtures to sb he made overtures to several European leaders intentó acercamientos con varios líderes europeos they did not respond to overtures from the union no respondieron a las tentativas conciliatorias del sindicatoExample sentences
- Those complex overtures done with, I followed up all gung-ho with an enquiry as to when the piece was required.
- Its overture is taken up with the analogy between the king of the nation and the father of the nuclear family that is beginning to supersede the extended family of earlier centuries.
- As in all those movies, the demonstration is an overture to how that newly introduced power will explode narrative, characters, bodies.
- Meanwhile, another ‘sport’ is making overtures to join the Olympics.
- The president is making overtures to Mexican immigrants and planning a manned mission to Mars.
- Her young daughter is soon making overtures to the man, who wants to rob the women blind.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
A patera is a boat with a shallow draft, used by illegal immigrants, known as balseros, to cross the Straits of Gibraltar from Morocco to southern Spain.