Translation of overturn in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (tip over) [table/boat] darle* la vuelta a, dar* vuelta (Southern Cone/Cono Sur)Example sentences1.2 (depose) [government] derrocar*, derribar
Example sentences1.3 (nullify) [decision/ruling/judgment] anular; [theory] invalidar
- More than 4,000 students overturned cars and threw bottles out of windows at a university in Jiujiang, in the southern province of Jiangxi.
- A red-haired woman is taken away from the table after she overturns a full bowl of food.
- It was overturning cars and knocking over down buildings, trying desperately to catch Jordan.
- She said she had taken on her chairmanship in December 2003, determined to overturn a previous board decision not to renew Mr Ramsay's contract.
- Residents hope they can overturn the decision.
- He introduced reliable methods of assessment and measurement, and an epidemiological framework, and thereby overturned many of the previous conclusions.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- [vehicle] volcar*, dar* una vuelta de campana, capotar; [box/barrel] darse* la vuelta, darse* vuelta (Southern Cone/Cono Sur)Example sentences
- The car then overturned, coming to rest on its roof on the hard shoulder.
- The tragedy happened when the Vauxhall hit the central reservation and overturned, coming to rest on the hard shoulder.
- Any rower whose boat overturns in the ship channel faces a tough job getting to dry land safely.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.