Translation of pacify in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (-fies, -fying, -fied)
- 1.1 (satisfy) apaciguar*, calmarExample sentences1.2 (restore to peace) [country/area] pacificar*
- A plumber was stabbed in the chest and died within minutes when he tried to pacify an angry man armed with a knife outside a public house, a jury was told.
- Even Mr Deshpande's apology failed to pacify him.
- The traffic policeman, who arrives late, tries to pacify everyone.
- The idea of occupying and pacifying a country by airpower alone, or with the air force as the primary force employed, is especially attractive to airmen.
- Caesar campaigns against the Belgii; all northern Gaul apparently pacified.
- Linn's book is a detailed operational history of military action to pacify and restore order to the islands.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Distrito Federal is a district of central Mexico, the seat of the federal government. It includes most of Mexico City and its suburbs, and comes under the direct supervision of the Mexican president.