- 1palm (tree) date palm(before noun) palm grove palm leafpalma (feminine) de dátilespalmera (feminine) datileraExample sentences
- They even feel attached to the tree or the palm tree that might stand outside their home.
- The California Fan Palm is the only palm tree native to western North America and its natural range is farther south.
- So I obediently drew two leaves, belonging to a palm tree just beyond the verandah.
- 2 (leaf, branch)Example sentences
- Albeit there are those latter-day scientists who would tend instead to award the ancestral palm to the lung-fish.
- Note that Jacopo adds something not prescribed - an angel swooping down with a palm, symbol of martyrdom.
- Step forward for a palm of victory.
- (Anatomy) to read somebody's palmto grease o oil somebody's palmleerle la mano a alguiento have itchy o itching palmsuntarle la mano a alguiento have somebody in the palm of one's handshe's got him in the palm of her handser fácil de sobornarser coimero (Southern Cone) [colloquial]se lo ha metido en el bolsillohace lo que le da la gana con élExample sentences
- In this test, you bend your thumb across the palm of your hand and bend your fingers down over your thumb.
- I love the small of her back and the inside of her wrist and the palm of her hand.
- I dig my fingernails into the palm of my hand, it wraps into a fist.
- 2 (steal)Example sentences
- He wasn't going to eat/take the wafer, as it was a bit silly and unnecessary for him to do so, so he discreetly palmed it.
- I palmed the offending items into a napkin and slipped the obscene bundle into my trouser pocket for disposal later.
- He heard the bedroom door creak open and quickly palmed the note he had found.
- 3 (Sport)(ball)darle con la mano aExample sentences
- Friedel saves the day when he palms a shot from Parker over the bar.
- East Stirlingshire keeper Scott Finlay was called into action to deny Allan midway through the second half, palming the midfielder's shot behind for a corner.
- Roberts should have done better than shoot tamely wide when more clever work by Moran led to Bracey palming his acute-angled shot into the big striker's path.
- to palm something/somebody off
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than