Translation of paper in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable (material) don't throw paper on the floorno tiren papeles al sueloit's made of paperes de papela sheet of paper a piece of paperun papelI spent four years at college to get this piece of paperme pasé cuatro años en la universidad para conseguir este papelito [colloquial]me pasé cuatro años en la universidad para conseguir este cartón (Chile) [colloquial]it's not worth the paper it's printed or written onthis agreement/contract is not worth the paper it's printed oneste acuerdo/contrato es papel mojado or no tiene el menor valoron paperen teoríathe scheme looks excellent on paperen teoría or sobre el papel el plan es excelenteon paper he's very well qualified but …diplomas ( or certificados etc. ) tiene muchos pero …to get or put something down on paperponer algo por escrito(before noun) (towel/handkerchief)paper currency paper cutter paper industry
de papelindustria (feminine) papelerapaper loss (Finance)pérdida (feminine) no realizadapaper profit (Finance)beneficio (masculine) no realizadopaper qualificationstítulos (masculine plural)Example sentences1.2 countable (wrapper) (esp British) 1.3 uncountable
also: wallpaper1.4 countablealso: cigarette paper
- The first thing to buy is a large sheet of white thick paper or thin card, which you gently bend into a right angled curve.
- Taking out a sheet of paper with lots of writing on it, Daria nodded, took a deep breath, and began her story.
- She slid her nail along the top to open it and pulled out a single sheet of paper with a drawing and a sentence hastily scribbled along the bottom.
- 2 countable (newspaper) I read/saw it in the paperlo leí/lo vi en el diario or periódicowhat did the papers say about it?¿qué salió en los diarios or periódicos al respecto?(before noun) paper boy/girlrepartidor (-dora) (masculine, feminine) de periódicos or diariosdiar(i)ero (-ra) (masculine, feminine) (Southern Cone)Example sentences
- Besides the general-circulation papers, newspapers continued to flourish as agents of various special communities.
- New York had nine daily newspapers then, plus papers in Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey, and three wire services.
- These findings provide a prescription for future newspaper content if papers are to gain young readers now and keep them in the future.
- 3 countable 3.1 a research paperun trabajo de investigaciónto give or present a paperpresentar una ponencia or una comunicaciónExample sentences3.2 (student essay)
Example sentences3.3 (Politics) see → green paper, → white paper
- I presented my paper at the first session and, relieved it was over, took the nearest free seat.
- This paper examines that question by considering the acute phase of care provided by the public sector.
- Thursday had the best of the paper sessions from my point of view.
- However, the examiners who mark their papers will not be made aware of their circumstances, in order to preserve the integrity of the exams process.
- The number of answer papers identifying all the scarecrows correctly was higher than usual.
- The Department of Education and Science is also preparing to advertise for examiners to correct the papers to ensure the exams go ahead in June as planned.
- Detailed policy papers, letters and ministerial submissions are taped and listened to late into the evening, absorbed at double the normal speed.
- I think that both the report and the strategy paper are positive documents for Bulgaria.
- Based on that work stage three of the process will see the production of a series of policy papers setting out various options
- 5also: papers plural(documents)documentos (masculine plural)he had to hand over his identity papers
papeles (masculine plural)tuvo que entregar sus documentos de identidad or su documentación personalyou have to carry your papers at all timehay que llevar siempre los documentos or los papeles encimahis car papers weren't in orderno tenía los papeles or documentos del coche en reglaship's papersdocumentación (feminine) del barcoto give somebody her/his walking papers (US) [colloquial]poner a alguien de patitas en la calle [colloquial]Example sentences
- His first book on folklore, Custom and Myth, did not appear until 1884, but contained papers written and printed much earlier.
- Well, they're probably excited they don't have to write any papers right now for their professors.
- While studying at SFU, Terry would write his papers on cancer research.
- 6 countable (Finance)papel (masculine) (comercial)
documento (masculine) comercial
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.