Translation of parenthesis in Spanish:
noun/nombre (plural -theses /-θəsiːz/)
- 1.1 (inserted phrase) [formal] paréntesis (masculine)Example sentences1.2 (round bracket) paréntesis (masculine) in parentheses entre paréntesis
- The practice in writing and print of using a set of marks to regulate texts and clarify their meanings, principally by separating or linking words, phrases, and clauses, and by indicating parentheses and asides.
- Even if the subordinate clauses open up a parenthesis that seems to last for ever, they do close, eventually, in a completed thought.
- The parentheses in that sentence are meant to be tongue-in-cheek, and that's really the tone I was aiming for there: a straightforward description with a little bit of irony added.
- Similarly, if the sentence about snow were named with the numeral 88 inside a pair of parentheses, then would be true just in case it is snowing.
- Candidates' membership in chapters may be longer than 10 years, but only dates 10 years back are included in parentheses following an activity.
- The gene markers included in parentheses were not mapped in our backcross; rather, approximate locations of these markers were deduced from other genetic maps.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to