Translation of parenthesis in Spanish:
noun plural parenthesesPronunciation: /-θəsiːz/
- 1 (inserted phrase) [formal]Example sentences
- The practice in writing and print of using a set of marks to regulate texts and clarify their meanings, principally by separating or linking words, phrases, and clauses, and by indicating parentheses and asides.
- Even if the subordinate clauses open up a parenthesis that seems to last for ever, they do close, eventually, in a completed thought.
- The parentheses in that sentence are meant to be tongue-in-cheek, and that's really the tone I was aiming for there: a straightforward description with a little bit of irony added.
- 2 (round bracket) in parenthesesExample sentences
- Similarly, if the sentence about snow were named with the numeral 88 inside a pair of parentheses, then would be true just in case it is snowing.
- Candidates' membership in chapters may be longer than 10 years, but only dates 10 years back are included in parentheses following an activity.
- The gene markers included in parentheses were not mapped in our backcross; rather, approximate locations of these markers were deduced from other genetic maps.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.